Trying to resurrect an old solar system - where to start??

In this old house, there are solar panels, a pump, a control box, flow and return pipes and a header tank.

All I know is that the pump is seized and the header tank is empty (not topped up by float valve) but has a strong smell of antifreeze coming from the empty tank.

Looking at

and
I can see it just says antifreeze.

Where would you start? My plan was to fill the header tank, and then see how much it had gone down in the morning, and whether the panels were leaking, for a start. I know the control box works, and providing the panels didn't leak, I was going to replace the pump and just run it and see what happens.

So, once I come to refill the tank, what type of antifreeze is it? Is there a special type?

And before anyone asks, I have no idea how to contact the previous owners, if it was even them!

Reply to
Jonathan

Forgot to mention - the seized pump is a "Euramo MX 130A", the only reference to which is in this Russian brochure:

$FILE/gpokz007.pdfWould it be a special type, or just a standard pump?

Reply to
Jonathan

This sort of thing keeps life interesting. If you see something that looks like normal car antifreeze, worry, and plan to figure out a way to flush the system clear. That'd be ethelyne glycol, and is poisonous. You want polypropylene glycol, which is not poisonous (check the label on a diet soda sometime.) While you should not be getting the antifreeze in the water system, using safe antifreeze keeps you from dropping dead if there is a leak between the systems.

Aside from the collectors, check for leaks at the heat exchanger (connection between water and anti-freeze)

With an unknown system like this, I'd put water in and see what happened (leakage-wise), and then I'd figure out a way to flush it clean anyway - who knows what's in there or what state it is in? If freezing weather has passed in your part of the world (or, perhaps, wait until it does pass to get started) just run the system on water for a while, then drain it out and replace the working fluid with proper anti-freeze before freezing weather sets in again. That way any start-up leaks only involve water (easier to clean up), and you have an idea of where you're at before you start putting money into anti-freeze. You might want to put a big dose of food-coloring in the water, and keep an eye on your other water supplies to make sure that they are not getting trace amounts of that color, indicating a leak between the systems.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Heopfully no-one here is daft enough to drink from the hot system anyway (there's the cooking I suppose), but polypropylene glycol ain't in the screwfix catalogue, and not even a mention on froogle! Might have to find a local solar person and ask them. Asking them to repair the system isn't on because they just want to fit a new one for loadsamoney.

Reply to
Jonathan

The non-toxic antifreeze can be bought at RV stores. Most do not = recommend that you use the environmentally friendly antifreeze at auto parts = stores, because of all the additives.

Reply to
SJC

Fernox Alphi-11 is an anti-freeze recommended for solar installations, fairly sure it's propylene glycol (non-toxic).

Aidan

Was I the only one to read the subject as a VERY ambitious DIY project?

John

Reply to
John White

That's what I'm trying to ascertain!

Heat exchanger works, control unit works, panels have been holding water for nearly 2 hours now. All that's buggered is the pump - not THAT ambitious. Hopefully...

Reply to
Jonathan

No, I thought Star Trek here we come...... I'll get me coat!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 19:00:19 +0100 someone who may be "Jonathan" wrote this:-

Where do the pipes go to? A preheating cylinder? If so I would find out if the system works and if it does plan replacing the hot water cylinder with a solar one (which has two coils, one for solar and one for a boiler).

Presumably they are flat panels?

That's a good idea, along with checking the pipework and panels before going to bed:-) How well is the pipework insulated?

How sophisticated is it? What functions does it have?

That's a good idea.

is a good source of suitable bits. As well as antifreze they sell proper insulation, though for flat panels bog standard "B&Q type" insulation is just about adequate.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from "Jonathan" contains these words:

Depends on how eliptical the orbits have become, and how circular you'd like 'em.

Don't forget to get the plane of the ecliptic aligned properly with the Galactic plane or you'll have endless trouble with the Vogons who're now working as Building Control and Enforcement (with extremem prejudice) Officers.

Check in the basement (take a torch and step ladder) to see if there's any outstanding planning applications on your zone - it may not be worth reconstructing it.

Ask the mice if they mind.

Feed the fish. The dolphins can manage on their own.

Reply to
Guy King

You need a rocket scientist? I will ask my daughter if you do.

Reply to
dennis

I'd start by tracing the system, drawing a diagram of it, so I knew what was meant to happen. Then it should be apparent why the header is empty, and whether you're meant to be smelling antifrog or its leaking and intermixing.

I doubt this one's ambitious, once youve worked out how its plumbed it'll most likely not be hard to replace the 1 or 2 bad bits.

The pump may be a low power low flow one. At first sight it might seem these would run the panels at slightly lower efficiency, but they result in better stratification, resulting in better panel efficiency and higher end yield. The physical size of the pump should give a fair clue.

What type of collector is it? If its vacuum tubes, never refill the system during the daytime, do it after dark.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The second big bang ?!

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH!!!

*NOW* I get it! I'm usually on the ball with nonsense like that. Show's how much my head was into the whole pipework thing!

Well done. Very humorous. I'll get MY coat now!

Reply to
Jonathan

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 19:13:57 +0100 someone who may be "Jonathan" wrote this:-

Probably a standard pump. However, we need a bit more information to guess more accurately.

Ensure you have cleaned the system properly before installing a new pump.

Reply to
David Hansen

Hi,

You might want to take a look at the Home Power basics articles on solar hot water -- they are all free downloads -- I've listed them all here:

basically have an article for each type of system -- figure out which one you have and take a read through that article. They cover the design, maintenance, filling, ... stuff in depth. Good free stuff. There are also some blurbs on maintaining solar water systems down at the bottom of the same link page.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Anyone can make mistakes, but twice would be careless.

Reply to
DJC

First light main burner, with a very long (93,000,000 miles long) taper.

Reply to
<me9

The message from contains these words:

Where'd'yer get a south American pig /that/ long?

Reply to
Guy King