HVAC-Where To Start?

I am in the market for a new heating system as my home is 30 years old & still has the original natural gas/forced warm air system. Are there any web sites that rate/compare systems? I guess I'm looking for a place to start.

Reply to
Dick
  1. Post the question in alt.hvac and do the opposite of what they say.
  2. Talk to your neighbors, church friends, folks at work, relatives, and friends. Ask who they use, and if they are satisfied.
  3. Call a couple of the yellow pages ads and ask them to come out and give you a free estimate.

If anyone's name comes up several times like "Hey, we had Chris Young out, and he sure did a great job, and his prices were fair" then go with him. Look for people who are polite, have done the job a couple times, and who give straight answers to questions without crude language and insults.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Buddy, you're always not right, but that was the best laughs I've in months. Thank you

Tim S.

Reply to
Tim or Marty Shephard

Dick, you also need some good answers. Best compare site I've seen is at DOE, US Gov...... Next thought is do you have a source of something at a near constant temp, or at least less range variation than the the outside air? A spring, a pond, a septic system that neeeds replacing? Med/large ponds are good if close, verticle water wells are great if availiable, horizontal wells are expensive if exclusive. Otherwise, it's free air (for heat pumps), which seems to influence market prices for oil and gas. This then sends you to capital costs, and the labor market, good luck. The big 4 (oil, nat. gas, bottle gas, and heat pumps) seem to average out even over time, in terms of fuel costs. Avoid an electric backup, it seems to always be 3x other costs.

Tim S.

Reply to
Tim or Marty Shephard

snipped the religious bs

yeah Stormin you forgot the most important things to look for, like are they licensed, insured and bonded?

why aren't you out selling bibles door to door or something similiar? how about volunteering for a mormon missionary position to iraq?

Reply to
go fish

Reply to
tflfb

I guess you means Parts and Labor?

No matter the equipment, the installer is much more important than the brand....

Reply to
HeatMan

To follow up on Heatman's comments... Someone willing and capable of examining the existing ductwork and calculating heat gain and loss; and providing installation and maintenance is needed.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

This is Turtle.

He He He He , Good one.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Your First and formost thing you want is to find a Good Respectiable Licenced Bonded HVAC installer. Everything else is secondary. Call 10 or more friends or people that you respect their opinion and ask them who they call when they have a hvac problem and pick from those listed the most.

You can also call the church of your choice or you attend and ask who does their work and put his or her name in the list. Get 2 or

3 names if possible. This day and age big company or little companys does not mean a thing . Go with these people and get them to submit a bid and talk to them a good bit. You will get a gut feeling about 1 or so as to you having a problem and having to deal with them if you have a problem. If you feel you could deal with this one if you had a problem and he answers all your question no matter how dumb they maybe. You look at the one.

All brands have the good stuff and the cheap stuff so if the installer is respectiable he will pick the good stuff out to use. Then get you some bids and prices to look at and post back here to discuss the findings.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE