Transit-sized vans

I've had good service over many years from Renault Masters. I chose them because I used to have a particular size of carton that needed to be loaded and a bed that was a few millimetres wider than most meant that I could get a lot more cartons in.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Trannies are pretty good these ays. Round here (cambridge / suffolk) there is a place that sells nothing but EX - BT transits - many still racked out.

Highly useful.

I saw one that was just beginning to rust a bit - 10 year old, bought after 4 years of BT..

The Natural Philosopher

We use them as camera cars. The cost of the coach built conversion pretty well dwarfs any cost differences between basic vans of this type so it's not that. Could be the availability of sliding doors on both sides plus the low loading height that clinches it. But they seem pretty good - I've never known one break down. Only thing is the rather poor turning circle due to FWD and a long wheelbase. Easy to drive too - lighter controls than many a car I've driven.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think that is a reflection of the 'write off' point of the BT accountants.

I've been their looking at stuff..was pretty impressed. If you get a racked out one theres a lot of useful stiff in them, for mobile DIY.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , RW writes

Actually........

A certain courier co with a distinctive orange livery auctions off their vans at 3.5 years old, or >100k on the clock. They are owned and maintained by Leaseplan, who have a very strict servicing and maintenance regime, so a 03/53 plate sprinter from them is likely to be in better nick than an owner-driver motor the same age/mileage.

They tend to dispose of dozens of vans at the same time too, all at the same auction, so can be quite cheap.

Reply to
Keith

If they're owned and maintained by Leaseplan, they're not very strict on servicing or maintenance. They cut corners wherever they can - a lot of new vehicles never see the inside of a main dealer, meaning missed recalls and TSBs - they're also likely to come with shot tyres and brakes, 'cos Leaseplan *really* hate spending money on consumables until they're almost illegally worn. They also like to dispose of stuff just before it's due a main dealer cambelt service, too.... I wouldn't buy from Leaseplan, 'cos I drive one of their cars every day.

Reply to
SteveH

All in the official service manual. Gallic shrugs. How to dangle gauloise from lower lip. Officially sanctioned exclamations. Beret positions. And a desire to have all clothing and materials coated in Citroen LHM.

Reply to
dom

Practical Motorcaravan (or some such) reviewed some BRAND NEW standard vans - the Merc was already rusty.

Reply to
Another Dave

I only know VW Transporters, but know them fairly well.

Huge info source here

'm assuming you're looking exclusively at T4's and that T5's would be over budget).

I wouldn't attach too much importance to mileage or year - but much more to condition and a *verifiable* service record. On my most recent buy, I saw more clocked vehicles and probably fake service histories than I ever have before).

Well looked after T4's do terrific mileages and offer superb longevity. One key difference is the older 1.9TD and 2.4D models versus the newer 2.5TDI. Very marked difference in power output. The older ones are slow-coaches - the newer ones brisk - with a price premium of course. Other than that, few significant changes over the model years.

Cambelt change interval is now recommended to be 60000 miles (decreased form the originally recommended 80000 miles), OR every 4 years regardless of mileage. You may find some do light mileage only but are way past their due change at least every 4 years. =A3500 for an official dealer to change. Look out for others that skimp and don't change the tensioner/idler/water-pump at the same time - which the dealer will be doing.

Any official part is eye-wateringly expensive. Several good aftermarket suppliers. GSF is probably best of them

prices are a bit inflated as T4's are a very popular base for surf-van conversions.

Personally I won't look at anything that's been customised - very, very rare that it's done to a high engineering standard.

Reply to
dom

Hardly. They've both been thrashed into the ground. The ones at Parceline were well and truly knackered at 3 years old.

Reply to
Conor

errr, wot's a T4 (and what's a T5)? They all seem to be described as plain old Transporters. Does it go by year?

Reply to
John Stumbles

T4 is the 1990-2003 model:

is the 2003+ model:
rundown here:

dom

Exactly.

I wouldn't buy my company car, for example....

Reply to
SteveH

I've seen 3 Vitos so far, a couple only 6-7 years old, all with rust bubbling up under and through paintwork, and not just on sills. Definitely a miss.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I have had a Renault Traffic (Old Shape), ok but too small, a Renault Master ( X reg New Shape), avoid like the plague, the service cost and level from Renault is appaling, very expensive to run. I now have a Ford Transit

125T350 02 reg, which is fantastic, got with 1k on the clock 4 years ago this week now has 110K + and it is still a great van.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson