Two batteries in an 07 Transit diesel

I bought it new and I was surprised to find that two large batteries were wedged together under the seat. They do not have the + terminals connected together. I tried to find out why there were two batteries but Ford wouldn't tell me. Does anyone know anything about this?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It's not uncommon to have a leisure battery set up for something that might be used occasionally for camping, also for certain trades where there may be a requirement for "static" power, such as farriers.

Reply to
newshound

williamwright laid this down on his screen :

Possibly an 'occupation battery'. Charged when ever the engine is running via a voltage operated charge relay, but otherwise isolated from the the main starter battery road lights etc., just used of internal lights and equipment whilst engine is off. It avoids flattening the main battery. Common in ambulances, caravans and leisure vehicles.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I had one for a while and I understood they were in parallel for starting but the ancillaries ran on one when the ignition was off.

Because I never had a battery problem I never got around to understanding how they were used.

Reply to
Fredxx

williamwright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com wrote in news:i496saFquegU1 @mid.individual.net:

The girl on the switchboard at Ford says she is fed up with you asking!

Reply to
JohnP

Fredxx formulated the question :

That is very unlikely, it would need a very large relay/contactor to sustain the cranking load.

That is probably correct.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It's called a starter solenoid, but can be utilised to couple/decouple extra power when required.

Reply to
jon

jon formulated on Monday :

A starter solenoid is only designed for very intermitant use of a few seconds, whilst cranking. Powered for longer, then they can overheat and burn out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply go to 24v?

Does seem quite odd, though. The Transit hardly has a large engine in the scheme of things. Plenty cars with bigger diesels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Reading forums it seems one is an auxilliary batter and the other used for starting where both are charged when the engine is running.

Reply to
Fredxx

Why would a van need this more than a car?

Unless a mobile home, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That's my provisional understanding.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I have no idea, ask Ford. They are both modestly sized batteries too, and the engine uses a geared starter.

Reply to
Fredxx