TOT; Smoking Kangoo

Sorry to post this here, tried uk.rec.cars.maintenance but not much in the way of replies.

I have an 03 reg diesel Kangoo van, 57,000 mile on the clock. On the door panel its described as 1.7DCi, the plastic cowling over the engine reads 1.5 DCi and the logbook reads 1465cc.

Passed MOT in January which included an emissions test, but now its started smoking. No change in performance, no starting problems, no sign of overheating. The smoke is greyish.

How much it smokes varies. It clears when the engine oil level is low, when topped up it starts again.

Mileage is only around 8,000 pa most of which is stop start traffic, rarely gets a decent run.

Tried Wynns Smoke treatment in the oil & a Redex product in the fuel, they don't seem to make much difference. Stopped using Morrissons diesel & switched to Esso.

Any ideas on what this could be? Someone suggested a blocked oil way or something - sorry my knowledge of engines, especially diesels is almost zero.

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman

Check with Renault on the engine number. Either someone swapped the lump or the panel badge.

Have a read about EGR systems (Halfway down the page here

How much it smokes varies. It clears when the engine oil level is low,

DO NOT attempt any reorganisation of the engine using a ANGLE GRINDER until you get the right hump with it

Reply to
Me Here

I'd say it's burning it's own oil for some reason. This can develop into something "interesting" to "exciting" when it starts to get enough oil to run without any fuel, ie you can't switch it off and as the "fuel" supply has no restriction it just takes off and either self destructs by severly over reving, you manage to stall it or cut off the air supply.

Short distance, low mileage, stop start stuff is not good for engines they are rarely properly warm. Most engine wear happens when the engine is cold/cool.

You need to find someone who knows that engine and which bits wear out letting oil into places it shouldn't be. It might be a blocked breather or something that is forecing oil into the wrong place your tame engine bloke would know that as a common problem though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

May be worn valve guides.. But 57000 miles if genuine is pretty young for that.

Not turbo is it?

IIRC a failing turbo starts by leaking bearing oil..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dirty air filter?

Is the smoke much worse when the engine is cold? Are you using more oil than you should be? (The manual should list the maximum amount of oil that the engine should use per 1000 miles or km)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Without looking at the vehicle, the symptoms sound that of a partially blocked PCV system where oil is either being forced through less than optimal turbo seals into the inlet, or through the PCV into the inlet, and being burnt to create the smoke. You do say it is loosing oil.

I would have it checked out before the engine injests too much, and revs itself to distruction. Note that failed turbo's on Renaults is umm , par for the course shall we say!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I saw this this morning, thought it said 'smoking kangaroo!'Its one of those days...

NT

Reply to
NT

Broken valve spring or leaking head gasket, I would have said.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Turbos fail on all makes. No car brands make their own, Kangoo one is by KKK according to

Never has been a 1.7 Diesel (wikipedia, euro car parts...) but the 1.5 has had different power outputs. It could be like all the diesel BMW

1s from the 116d right up to the 123d are all 1995cc in different states of tune to go with their badges.
Reply to
Part timer

What's the matter TMH, don't you believe what you have been told on uk.rec.cars.maintenance?

Especially as you have been given some good advice by "Mrcheerful" and others there - but I suppose you'll always be that drama queen playing to any audience you can!

Now let that old Kangoo FOAD and give it some peace. :(

Reply to
Unbeliever

I do wonder why you just don't get a life of some sort. If you don't have anything better to do than make pathetic attempts to attack me - and they are truly pathetic, I'd suggest you just slash your wrists and put an end to what is clearly a very sad existance.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought the Subject was an offer of an alternative to tobacco...

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Turbos fail on all makes.

Of course, but some are much more common than others.

Reply to
Tim..

"Vehicles and Air Quality Vehicle exhaust is a leading contributor to air quality concerns. Vehicles and other mobile sources create over half of Iowa=92s air pollution! Much of this pollution comes from a small population of poorly maintained vehicles =96 the easiest ones to spot have visible smoke emissions. One smoking vehicle creates as much pollution as up to 30 properly functioning cars.

Health Impacts of Smoking Vehicles The tiny particles and other pollutants in vehicle exhaust contribute to respiratory problems and to cancer-risk. Everyone can be affected, but sensitive populations including children, the elderly, and those with respiratory illness are especially at risk. Cleaning up smoking vehicles will improve air quality to help Iowans breathe easier.

Probable Causes and Correction Visible tailpipe smoke can vary in color to indicate different engine problems. Use the chart below to help diagnose problems. This is a guide, and not a substitute for consulting an auto technician:-

"One smoking vehicle creates as much pollution as up to 30 properly functioning cars."

Reply to
Squashme

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Appelation Controlee saying something like:

My first impression was TMH had been hammering a power tool too hard.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's unlike you to use a euphemism.

Reply to
Squashme

Dave

If you do get a new van can I suggest the VW Caddy. The ashtray is actually usefull in that one unlike the one in my Vauxhaull Combo:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

genews:yFypn.52403$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com...

lbob.co.uk/tips.shtml)

To paraphrase "everyone else's cl;eaning product apart from ours is rubbish" blatant marketing.

It's a diesel!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

sagenews:yFypn.52403$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com...

selbob.co.uk/tips.shtml)

Sorry! Don't know what I did different to end up with a new thread.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

By ashtray you mean "entire passenger compartment", don't you? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson