TOT: Corsa rear wiper

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

bodged before and the previous owner wasn't able to remove it either.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

8<

Make sure he's got a PhotoSafe certificate though.

Reply to
dennis

Believe it or not that is the result of some very careful design work by the manufacturer. Previously bits of car which might easily get snagged, (eg by a car wash) were just as strong as the rest of the car so the result of this sort of breakage was much more difficult to deal with as the car itself was often damaged. By designing in a failure point the breakage is controlled and you only need to pay out for a new wiper arm.

I first came across this with roof mounted aerials when I looked at a broken one and started ranting about the crap materials used which almost guarantee a failure over time. Only later did I realise why.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

We had a similar thing happen to one of our cars last year. The nut came of fairly easily but I couldnt get what was left of the arm off the motor spline. I ended up cutting several deep grooves out of the metal sleeve (almost down to the spline) and then breaking it off with a pair of pliers. The metal is fairly soft sow it came off quite easily.

When I put the replacement on, I thought it looked (right position) so I did the nut up (not overly tight) and tried it out. When the motor stopped, the arm was in a slightly different position so I thought I would give it a small adjustment on the spline. I undid the nut but couldnt seperate the arm from the spline (same problem as (what was left of) the old arm. I eventually gave up and left it as it was.

Reply to
AlanC

Use a LPOT of grease or soap or whatver when first assembling.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll give that a go, might have found a use for my Dremmel.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Fuck off, you tedious dweeb.

Reply to