Tool for digging grooves in walls

Page 2 of 2
Wall Chaser, 22.50 a day from the hire shop.
For the sockets you can get a special bit (screwfix) to put into your SDS. Never tried one though.
Rick
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:59:52 -0000, "Robert Irwin" <catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom> wrote:

Rick Dipper wrote:

Yes, given the cuttin speed, these things are WELL worth it - I did all the channels in a substantial house in a day. Very clean process, all things considered.
Steve
On 25/12/2003 "Robert Irwin" opined:-

A grinderette fitted with a stone cutting disk will cut a channel in masonary, cutting a series of slots. For boxes, simply drill lots of holes with a masonary bit/hammer drill where you need to fit the box. Then expand with a lump hammer and chisel hitting sideways, rather than straight at the wall.
The danger with thumping at right angles, is that you might well knock bricks right through the wall.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Wall chasers appear to have come down in price in the recent past. I was looking at them a few months back and they seemed to be priced well over 300.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?idg037&ts#761
At 150 it brings it into the league of being affordable if you are doing any serious wall chasing, but not as an everyday occurrence. Plus it has a dust extract which could make it quite clean to use.
Alternatively you could go for the drill attachment and bit:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 900&ts#761
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 269&ts#761
Under 30, but I rather expect you will get the dust to go with it.
PoP

after
thanks for the 150 wall chaser link - I'd somehow managed to miss that last time I was on screwfix. I can just about justify it as the place is covered in surface nmounted wiring and pipework - not to mention all the cat5 computer network cables I want to put in, phone lines etc etc Only downside is that I'd kinda been considering the SDS drill with roto stop to use the chisel on some old floor tiles. Decisions, decisions...
The drill attachment looks a bit lightweight for some of the brickwork I need to go through - and my drill isn't that heavy duty so I reckon it would knacker it.
Once again - thanks!
Robert
"Robert Irwin" <catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

cables
chasers'.
last
covered
downside
would
Robert,
Screwfix are doing a really cheap 5Kg blow SDS drill with roto-stop for only 29.99 - I am very impressed with it for the price. I have two professional Hilti sds drills but they aren't rotostop and this fills the gap. Amazingly it carries a 3 year guarantee - 10 per annum cannot be bad !!!!
Part no is 94802
Andrew Mawson
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Be careful with the SDS method on interior walls, especially if the walls are lightweight block. By the time you have loaded the chisel tip and pressed the trigger you can be a LOT deeper than you intended.
Steve
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:01:06 -0000, "Robert Irwin" <catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom> wrote:>thanks for the 150 wall chaser link - I'd somehow managed to miss that last

If you do buy that wall chaser would you mind reporting back here on what your experience of using it was? I haven't seen any reports on these forums about wall chasers and I'm looking for ideas for my birthday pressie list ;)
PoP

I've hired both a small one (Bosch) and a large one (don't recall what make). Both cut really quickly and easily. The large one was quite the most terrifying tool I've ever used. Also, it's size meant it couldn't get as near to corners. The larger one generated brick dust at about 10 times the speed any domestic vacuum could suck it up. They did have a cyclone vacuum cleaner to go with it (looked like a 4' tall dustbin), but I didn't hire that. A Dyson could cope with the dust from the Bosch, but you'll need to wash the filter every few times you empty out the brick dust. Bagged cleaners won't work with the volume of fine brick dust.
Some rental rates depend on wear on the cutting discs, so depending what you are cutting through, you might want to check that out.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

Cheapskated in the end and hired an angle grinder - the hire rate on the wall chaser was 50 a day and a dust extractor big enough to cope was another 30 a day. Apart from that I'm working in the hope that work will buy me one when someone with a budget whinges about messy trunking for their network cabling. The amount of dust off the angle grinder is horrific enough anyway, especially as I gave up using the face mask since it always seemed to cause my goggles to steam up in seconds.... I've also got one of the 30 SDS drills and a chisel set on order from screwfix which will hopefully sort out the corners and wall sockets.
Robert