Toasters

Obviously the answer to that is a hose connecting the crumb tray to the vacuum cleaner. Not only will this tidy the crumbs away but it will also reduce the chances of the smoke detector working.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But what about the bird table...?

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:mc31g3$lr6$2 @speranza.aioe.org:

Bread isn't ideal for birds.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No. Clearly any well designed toaster should be able to toast any commonly made or bought bread.

Big enough to handle any commonly made or bought bread.

By having a decent high lift lever, preferably one that operates automatically if you don?t prefer that it stays in the toaster to keep warm after its been toasted and is manually ejected instead. It wouldn?t be hard to design a toaster that could do it either way depending on what the owner wants to do at a particular time.

Reply to
john james

You could use a similar apparatus, but not energise it during feeding hours in case you suck up a chaffinch inadvertently.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As a friend used to say - "keep your sordid fantasies to yourself".

Reply to
mark.bluemel

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to grab the toast.

Reply to
F Murtz

Although I have never fully tested the theory, surely, if any toaster is turned off, then it should be pretty safe, even if metal is stuck down into the bread cavity? My occasional such operations have never resulted in any sparks or similar. If the elements are physically damaged, then that is a different matter.

Reply to
Davey

Like those bread sticks and bagettes, I'd like one for those garlic bread slices but tend to use teh oven or grill to do it. And a hot cross bun with a hot cross on it would be cool ;-)

So about 1 metre long ?

makes you wonder why it's not done, why not go on dragons den and pitch the idea. I bet someone could write an app top do it ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Peter Parry

ProductDetail.raction

My older son would love one. He reads Nisbets catalogues like people here read Toolstation ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't give him the Keylink catalogue then ;-)

Gordon (enbarking on a minor career move)

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

He might like Divertimenti and MSK Ingredients then.

Sort of like moving from Toolstation to Axminster :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I have both and Screwfix & Wickes.

Reply to
charles

Presumably just because most of the designers choose to do it one way or the other and don't think to allow the user to select which they want for a particular slice of toast or to allow different people to use the toaster different ways. They assume those who need that will buy two toasters.

Its technically trivial to do. Currently the toaster tells the eject mechanism to eject when it decides that the toast is done. There is no reason why there can't be an eject button that the user presses to eject the toast instead. In fact some toasters do have an eject button but it not only ejects the toast but it turns off the element at the same time.

Because its too obvious to need that.

The iToaster does it already.

Reply to
john james

Well, this /is/ uk.d-i-y...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

his sites refuse to give any more than about 0.01% of info about it

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Probably because a common way of arranging matters is that the power to the elements is switched by contacts operated by the handle being pushed down.

The handle is then retained in position by a small electromagnet, until either the timer or the manual eject button turns off the supply to this coil. The cage then rises, opening the supply contacts as it goes.

This has the advantage that the timer only has to switch the small holding current, but it could not turn off the elements without ejecting the bread.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That's a separate issue to what happens at the end of the toasting.

Not normally, its more common to have a simple mechanical latch that is released at the end of the toasting.

The manual eject button isn't normally that sort of switch.

And that isn't always the way it works either.

Its more common to turn the elements off at the end of the toasting and release the catch on what the toast sits on so that if the toast stops it from rising because its jammed, you don't see the toast catch fire.

And that's why only the most badly designed toasters do it that way.

Reply to
john james

Most toasters I've come across seem to work with a non-mechanical latch. I base that on the fact that our toaster, a Kenwood that is now about 8 years old or so, won't latch in the down position if there is no power to the toaster.

Reply to
Tim Streater