Tiling on wooden floors

Yoiu did use a tile cement didn't you - a flexible cement based one, not that rubbishy stuff that has to dry out and never does?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You will end up with losse tiles.

Get a decent cement and redo it.;

A cementr that SETS not DRIES.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That sounds very similar to waht I suess - ardurit flexible somethig r other. It goes rubbery in 24 hours and is just walkable on, and is fully set in about 3 days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. While you can stiull cleam the crap off.

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Must be teh rapid set one then. I used the rapid set non flexible for over concrete - magic stuff, but beware, you have two hours to clean it off the tiles or hours of fun trying once its set....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It did not in my case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did my grouting with BAL mediuem. It has cracked a little where the tiles meet a stuid walll, but that was expected as there is still shrinkage going on there.

Its not a 100% waterproof, but that has not resulted in any issues wherever I have used it - even wet rooms.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi all

Thanks for the advice and responses.

In the end I took up all the tiles so that I can make sure it is properly done.

I reckon there were about 30 tiles I took up and I think I broke 2. I reckon this just gives an indication of how soft the adhesive was even after 5 days.

It was reasonably easy (although tiring) to scrape the semi-drying adhesive off hte floor using a wallpaper scraper.

End result, SWMBO has banned me from doing it (as I have many many other jobs to do) and has demanded that we get a tiler in. After the work putting them down and taking up, Im acutally reasonably happy to agree.

On a good note though, I went back to B&Q where I had bought the 6 tubs of Unibond and explained that I had used 4 and still had 2 left. They agreed without so much as an argument that if I took all 6 back (2 full and the empty tubs) then they would refund the whole lot ! I guess this is probably what Im entitled to since it didnt work, but it was refreshing not to have to argue about it....all credit to B&Q in this case.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith