Tight lid on pickle jar

Max jar and lid size are both about 100mm

Reply to
Bob Martin

Oh (thanks).

In spite of that I still might get a couple if we think they are one of those 'how did we live without' sorta things (especially for the elderly / arthritis sufferers that is).

Thanks again,

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, so that's what it is!

One of those was knocking around the kitchen when I moved in, and I never figured out what it was for. Best case was a rather poorly-designed bottle-opener.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

They really do work very well indeed...! Hope you didn't throw it away..

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Spamlet writes

Thanks - I'll try that for jars with mobile contents. But the things I often have trouble opening are jars of jam which won't easily jump up and hit the lid. My vice-opening method works well on them.

Reply to
Clive Page

They will: and the deflection of the lid itself also breaks the seal. Only the rustiest of lids may defeat this method, and in that case the contents are probably unfit anyway. It really is very simple.

Spamlet

Re: double ended (rounded + pointy) metal ones, I always thought it was pointed end for cans, and rounded end for crown cap bottles.

Reply to
JTM

not many places sell blunt screwdrivers and blunt chisels, mine are used often.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Toby :

Go right ahead, but you'll find that your right wrist is in a mechanically disadvantageous position for turning.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not a good idea...think about it.

(well, unless you *want* to do it up)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think it's you who has to think about it again.

I'm sure Toby meant clockwise looking down. Too loosen the lid you must either turn the lid anticlockwise while holding the jar fixed, or equivalently turn the jar clockwise while holding the lid fixed.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

You're right. I was thinking about holding it sideways...and that would have made a mess when it *did* come open, too!

Reply to
Bob Eager