Thunderbird not showing EBay messages

I get the headers but no text. Is there something I can tweak, or is the email address just too old? Seems I'm not alone. Any advice appreciated

Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble scribbled

Ebay mail are now all in HTML, you will have to go to View and View in Simple HTML.

Reply to
Jonno

I guess you've got it set to only show plain text? It's not t'bird's fault - the message eBay sends doesn't contain any plain text - just HTML.

So your choice is to show the HTML, with all the drawbacks that implies, or just to take the email as a prod to go and check your My eBay messages.

Reply to
Adrian

Are they sending in graphic and you are set to plain text? Is the system set to only read certain character sets? I had the later happen on an old machine the other day running outlook express.

In my view, companies who cannot send compatible emails need to get a new IT manager. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

As said before. they should to comply with standards, send a text version as well. a recent problem has happened with our local council where an old copy of an email can be sent as the text portion of html emails. Having alerted them they have had to go back to the old sending system while the vendor of the mailing system sorts it out. Its been some months thus far. How hard can this be? Bloomin heck. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

Hallelujah. I don't really object to HTML e-mails, but much prefer plain text. All senders who insist on HTML should send plain text as well. What I really dislike is e-mails that say something like 'Ah! Your e-mail client cannot read HTML'. Yes it ****ing well can - I just don't want it to.

Reply to
News

Brian-Gaff scribbled

I believe Ebay have been asked to return to text messaging, but they're ignoring the requests. Oddly, it's only the sales mails that are in HTML. Probably from different departments.

Reply to
Jonno

Sounds like you've got it set to View, Message body, Plain text and they no longer send a plain text part, try View, Message body, Simple html

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks everybody. And yes, Andy, that sorted it

Reply to
stuart noble

I am afraid that HTML styled email is pretty much de rigeur these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The ones that make me despair are those which read. Is this mail not displaying properly, view it in your browser, click here. Now pardon me mr emailer, if i'd wanted to viiew it in my browser I would not be opening it in my email client, now whould I.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff