Oops

Error code on washing machine - drain pipe blocked. Running the pipe outside doesn't work in winter.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Erm is it that cold where you are?Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Water freezes at 0C. Yes, Scotland gets to 0.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

Temp when I crawled out of the pit this morning was -4.9, and the highest I noticed all day was -2.2. However, temp warmed to -1.5 this evening, and snow is now falling, and settling because the ground is cold.

Reply to
News

F. or C.? The coldest I ever experienced was in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, at

-22 F. My car wouldn't start, for some reason. Once the temperature had risen to -20 F, I was able to get it started, with help, and drove straight to a garage for a bigger battery. Being a Ford, it wouldn't accept normal battery sizes, so I had to take one that sat c*ck-eyed in the battery tray.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

C I would imagine. IIRC Graeme lives up in Scotland somewhere

Reply to
Chris French

"Colder than a well digger?s ass" as they say in them there parts

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , Davey writes

C. Coldest temperature we have experienced here is -15 point something, and that was COLD. This house is four square, and there was the memorable occasion when we awoke one Sunday morning to find the front four radiators had frozen, with two downstairs splitting. Amazingly, no flood, as water from the splits had frozen so there was a stalactite from each radiator to the floor. Had to lift the floorboards and thaw the pipes with a fan heater, then stuff the void with loft insulation, around the pipes.

Lots of snow overnight - just been sweeping around the back door, and at least six inches lying. We're in Aberdeenshire.

Reply to
News

This is what happens when we all start washing in cold water. In the good old days of dual fill machines the water coming out was warm enough to unfreeze the pipes. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I've been in a cabin in Norway with it -15 outside, +25 inside, and having to open windows to cool down. They've seen -25, +25 deeper in winter.

One woodburner, nothing else, and that not running even slightly hard.

Reply to
Clive George

Reminds me, what happened to Drivel and his campaign for super insulation? Did he get compulsory stronger meds?

Reply to
johnjessop46

So how do they do it then? Triple glazing? harry-style wall thicknesses? What construction/insulation materials? What are the window frames made of? And so on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Double glazing Single skin log wall - 6" of wood, sheepswool sealing the gaps.

Reply to
Clive George

Hmm, perhaps this gives a clue:

although, even so I'm surprised.