Composing messages in Thunderbird: layout question

When I am composing an e-mail message in Thunderbird, the individual lines of text occupy about half the screen width, but when I receive messages, even ones I've composed and sent to myself when checking layout, they display on the full width of the screen. In many cases this isn't a problem, but if I do some cutting and pasting, importing text from elsewhere, or re-wrapping when composing a message, it can end up after it's been sent with some sentences or sections occupying half the screen width and others the full width, which must be irritating for the recipient in trying to read or print it.
How do I set the line-length when composing so that under any circumstance it will display over the full width of the screen, so that what I type, irrespective of cuts, pastes, re-wraps etc, appear the same as what I or others receive. I've gone through the tools-options menu and the tools-account setting, but can see no reference to setting line length for message composition.
--

Chris

Chris Hogg wrote:

edit->Preferences->composition->wrap plain text messages [72]
--
Ineptocracy

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also useful when replying to badly wrapped messages, ctrl-A followed by ctrl-R
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:38:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the quick reply. That's just the sort of command I've been looking for, but I must be missing something because I can find no such sequence under edit, nor under tools->options->composition, nor tools->options->display, nor under tools->account settings. Under edit I have select all (ctrl+A) and rewrap (ctrl+R), as AB points out, but nothing about setting the screen width in the way you describe. I must be doing something wrong, but what? Is it something to do with plain text messages, but AFAIK I only send in plain text anyway (tools->account settings->composition and addressing->compose messages in HTML format, box is unchecked)?
--

Chris

On 05/10/2012 10:53, Chris Hogg wrote:

Have not looked properly, but I concur with you. TB 12.0.1. Recently installed. Got sick of Opera for news. Used to use X-news and TB in the past so fairly familiar.
--
Rod

On 05/10/2012 11:10, polygonum wrote:

Something I have only noticed recently, there are 3 options on replying to a message, Reply, Followup and Forward. I can only remember in the past Reply, which I always used, now that writes to the person who sent the message whereas Followup writes to the newsgroup, the result is that several times I have pressed the wrong button, luckily most peeps have a false email address, so I just get a delivery fail message, but a couple of times it has landed in the previous writers letter box, and upset them!

Identical to Turnpike - and identical actions.
--
hugh

On 05/10/2012 19:38, hugh wrote:

Not this version! I get Reply, Forward and Archive,
--
Rod

On 05/10/2012 11:21, Broadback wrote:

If you use the reply button on the top tool bar then it works as you would expect (i.e. does a reply to group). The one on the message pane area is a bit more "specific" and duplicates some of the options on the main message menu.
--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Hogg wrote:

Ah. I was going by my version witch is rather old and for linux
--
Ineptocracy

Chris Hogg wrote:

Ooops yes it all became 'spanner only' in turd 3.0 and up
here's a 3 years old answer that may work ======================================= Tools => Options => General Tab => Advanced Configuration - Config Editor => (and go down to find) Mailnews.wraplength
you can change the setting to 80 or 90 or whatever you want the wrap to occur at. Try that and see how that works for you. ==================================================================
--
Ineptocracy

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 12:26:10 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Ah, that's it, (but leaving out the General Tab stage and just going to the Config Editor in the Advanced Configurations).
Thank you very much!
--

Chris

No Advanced Configuration in my version.

Tools > Options > General > Config editor?
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

yeah. They keep changing te menu system
There's a sort of registry like set of configurable options that they don't provide GUI access to - you have to edit lines onscreen
--
Ineptocracy

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 19:20:56 +0100, The Medway Handyman

In version 15.0.1 Tools => Options => Advanced => General Tab. Click on the 'Config Editor' button in the Advanced Configuration box. Pass over the 'here be dragons' warning and search for Mailnews.wraplength
--

Chris

Can't see that in ver. 15.0.1

That's ThunderTurd for you.
MBQ
On 05/10/2012 12:01, Man at B&Q wrote:

Na, that's someone giving instructions for a years out of date linux version...
If you really want to find the setting (and there is not much point since the default is 72), you need Tools Menu | Options... | Advanced button | Config editor button. Then type wrap into the search box and you will see the setting.
--
Cheers,

John.

在 2012年10月5日星期五UTC+8下午4时24分24秒,Chris Hogg写道:

http://www.cheapuggbootsonline2012.co.uk /