Thing for removing nails...

Hi,

I was told many years ago about a tool for removing nails (not a claw hammer).

Apparently you drove a shaft with a grasping end down over the nail; it gripped the nail and you could then haul it out.

This avoided the problem with claw hammers, pincers etc. where you had to get the head of the nail exposed before you could get something under it to lever it out.

Anyone know of such a tool?

I have always hankered after one but never seen one.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

David W.E. Roberts submitted this idea :

As I recall they were made from three lumps of metal....

The main body with one half of the princer jaws. A slide hammer - which slide in the main body to allow you to hammer the jaws into the wood. The other half of the jaw, which pivoted again the other one on the main body, which had an arm to allow you to close the jaws/acted as a lever to prise the nail out.

Any company which has to open lots of heavy wooden packing cases will them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's called a "nail puller".

You will still damage the surface of the timber - the jaws of the puller need to be driven in.

Just Google (TM). They're the sort of thing that are *occasionally*

*very* useful.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

You mean like this:

available elsewhere also. Can't remember where I got mine from but it dismantled a fence allowing recovery of the posts - but beware of the dings needed to get under the nail head. It's the only thing able to remove rusty nails when the head is gone since it can be made to grip into the shaft

Reply to
John Weston

A claw hammer is quite good for removing nails. Select the appropriate finger and put it against a firm surface. Hit it firmly with the claw hammer. Club hammers are naturally more effective and if you have a helper a large sledge hammer is even better. ;-)

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Cheers, John - I was just about to have some lunch.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I found the drive gear on a cement mixer to be very effective for this purpose :-0

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've got one of these

as a parrot beak nail puller. It does remove nails but not neatly. Easier and neater to pull up floorboards and then remove nails from board or joist so I don't use it much. In fact it's useless. There may be certain situations where it is a good tool to have but I can't think where. On the other hand the japanese nail puller from Axminster tools is really handy but small, more of a tack lifter really.

jacob

Would this be any use for removing six inch nails from massive ancient old timbers? The nails stick out three inches so there is no difficulty getting a purchase on them, but I don't want to go the lever with a block-of-wood-and-claw-hammer route cos that is a sideways pull which may damage the timber. I want something that will pull the nail out straight

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Take thick bit of wood, long enough. Drill hole through it to allow nail to go through. Put claw hammer on nail head to stop it pulling back through hole. Shim end of timber so it's parallel. Use lever to raise the other end away from the timber. This gives you a much longer lever, and you can pull it straight out, replacing the shims as you go.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Sounds like you need a powerful electromaggot.

I've found iron bars etc work well for that sort of situ, so long as you only move the nail a very little bit at a time, so the puller angle doesnt change noticeably, and start with it padded so its straight. This way a curved movment can imitate a straight up only movement, and damage is avoided.

However if the nails rusty, damage is still very possible, and clamping a metal ring against the wood around the nail will reduce the chance of the wood pulling up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What are the nails actually in? What's the timber? If they're well rusted in to old oak, I should say there's little chance of getting them out at all with no damage to the timber. It might help to give them a good whack before trying to get them out, or heat them up...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If it is oak or has been wet and the nails have been there for some time then nothing will remove them as they will be rusted in and probably fragile. You'd have to dig them out - cut them off short so there is still something to hold on to and drill around them until you can pull them out with a mole grip . Otherwise Ian's solution looks a goer.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Its elm and has not been wet and the nails have been there since 1976. They are still pretty solid at least the sticking out bit is. I will try Ian's solution

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Thanks - the price made me gulp a bit, though, especially as it was the cheaper of the two on offer!

This looks like the thing that was described to me.

I am looking for a way to pull nails out of asbestos ceiling board with minimum disturbance to the board - this looks like a possible option.

The saving over having a professional firm in should certainly fund one of these - probably also pay to have it gold plated with diamond detailing.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

First there will be the damage as you try to get the claws under the nail head, using the sliding hammer action on the shaft of the tool. Once you have hammered it enough to grip the nail, you have to lever the tool sideways the same as with a claw hammer to extract the nail. Hence, to avoid further damage you would need to have a pad under the side lever arm. If you try to pull the nail straight out, then the claw will probably release. It's the levering action that makes the claw bite into the mail shaft under the head.

If it real asbestos then you could need protection so find out what the rules are for working with and disposal for the type you have.

That's how I fund my tools :-)

Reply to
John Weston

option.

detailing.

Least damage method is probably to punch the nails through the sheet and fully home into the joist.

I have one of those nail removers, and although they are good for floorboards and packing crates, as has been previously said the foot is akin to the claw of a hammer and will crush the material.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Agree; 'Nail Puller'. Brutal device for pulling flush or countersunk nails from lumber. Levering action probably more damaging than a claw hammer? Have used for deconstructing large packing cases or removing an obstinate nail in timber house construction. NOT recommended for furniture or delicate work!!!!!!

Reply to
Terry