Thin wood (p.a.r.!)

I've noticed before that 7 x 1 is provided in different thicknesses by different woodyards. Just bought some 7 x 1 from a wood yard that I liked, and I'm sure they've made their wood thinner than it used to be. Obviously you lose a bit in the planing, but how thin can an inch legally be?

(I'll have to pack it.)

Tony

Reply to
TonyJeffs

3/4" - the standard allows this, up to a maximum of 1/2" undersize for thicker sections.

The nominal size is the size as sawn, and it then shrinks from drying and planing. Originally it was sawn to this size, then ended up smaller. Nowadays, with more accurate preduction of the drying process. they can saw it undersize and dry it down exactly to the limit. So, the sizes have always been "funny", but they're now smaller than they used to be.

Hardwood is usually measured as it stands, so the size is what you'd expect - but you'll probably machine it some yourself.

Reply to
Andy Dingley