Thick goo for sticking vinyl tiles to screeded floor?

What kind of adhesive would one use to stick vinyl floor tiles to a screeded floor? Self-adhesive tiles won't work, because the screed just isn't smooth enough for them to stick to.

Back in the 1960's I watched a guy sticking Marley tiles to my parents' screeded kitchen floor using what looked like molten bitumen. The finished job was excellent and extremely durable; it has lasted to this day. I don't want to get involved with melting bitumen if I can help it; hopefully there is something nowadays that can be spread straight from the can, that will fill in any minor pits in the screeding. Can anyone recommend anything?

TIA

Al

Reply to
AL_n

I'd use:

if the floor isn't smooth enough, you'll have problems, I'd do something about that first, using something like:

Cod Roe

And if you ever want to take the tiles up and lay stone, it's a bitch because you'll have to get it all off (nearly impossible, short of grinding the floor).

I'd stick with a rubberised glue.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its only necessary to get enough off for the adhesive to stick.

NT

Reply to
NT

Not with bitumen - it all has to come off, or take your chances with more bitumen and blinding sand.

What you say applies to rubber-glue (evostik type) but definately not bitumen which is the basatrd from hell if you need to deal with it :(

I had to use a floor grinder to take a few mm of screed off along with the bitumen crap on top, which is not something you want to do in a house that is not an empty building site. Come to think of it, it's not a lot of fin in a house that is a building site - trust me...

The reason I know bitumen is unstable is some jokers tried to put SLC on top and the bond sheared with a few seasons temperatur cycles. I don;t think cement tile adhesive would fare any better...

Reply to
Tim Watts