cost effiscient kitchen lighting?

Currently have 10 hologen bulbs in ceiling that must be costing a fortune. Whats a decent lighting but more cost efficient form of lighting.

I replaced my halogen bulbs for LED bulbs. LED bulbs are now available with virtyually all light fittings (bayonet, screw-fit, etc, etc.). As a rough guide, a 4W LED bulb emits the same brightness as a 40W incandecent bulb, so they are about 10x cheaper to run! They also last a very long time. The higher the wattage, the more you pay. 7W LED bulbs can cost quite a lot, but a lot cheaper if you order directly from China. (Look on eBay). With the cost of energy going the way it is, it may well prove a good investment in the long-term. LED bulbs last a very long time.
Another alternative might be to use floursecent bulbs. They are cheaper but not as efficient as LEDs. If you can't get them with the same fitting as your halogen bulbs, there are adapters for most light fittings.
Unlike floursescent bulbs, LEDs produce their full light immediately. Be careful to choose the right shade of white light though! They range from "cold white" to "warm white". The "warm white" ones produce a comfortable quality of light similar to the old ubiquitous incanescent bulbs. Personally, I would only buy the colder white LEDS for use in a workshop or perhaps an office.
Al
Might be worth someone with a spectrograph looking at what these bulbs actually shove out. People tell me that the compacts are pretty dire and peaky which is probably why so many people get headaches.
Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
email.me:

I've always been very prone to headaches, but I've never had one after sitting in my lounge which is 100% lit by warm white LED bulbs (six 4W bulbs).
One kind of light that does seem to give me headaches is the kind of natural light coming from the sky on an overcast day. It does my eyes in, somehow.
Flourescent bulbs and tubes also take their toll on my ocular bits...
Al
AL_n wrote:

It is all the flour in them

everything except filament & halogen
NT
On 25/11/2011 22:49, NT wrote:

Ok looks like I may give the LED a try first I am ok with florescent lighting other than the tubes which put me off. Can I just byt LED and put them into the halogen sockets or do I need to purchase a new set up and get it installed?