The scout hut roof - barbed wire allowed?

What about applying anti-climb paint instead?

Reply to
Stephen H

Stephen H

Also there is a special forensic paint called Smart Water you can buy that has a unique DNA code in it. The DNA is an artificial one and is registered to the customer who buys it so it tags both the product and the thief/ves.

Whoever next steals the lead or non-lead will contaminate themselves with the DNA (which also shows up under UV light)

This aids the police in proving who the thief/ves is/are and also identifies where metal known to be stolen has come from as the DNA code is registered to the customer who bought the smart water

Google for smartwater for more detail

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen H

At last they have managed to get 3 written quotes to replace the stolen lead - and replace it with no-lead.

I have chosen the guy I want to do the job and he suggested looking into fitting barbed wire along with a warning sign. Anyone know the current laws on doing this to such a property - he didn't and only made it as a suggestion.

I have fitted razor wire to properties that do not care about the law but I need this job to be done legally. Any suggestions please?

Reply to
ARW

I know that when I am doing stock fencing next to a public footpath (which has two strands of barbed wire on top by convention) it has to be at least 1 metre away from the path and 'is recommended to face inwards' - how the heck you make barbed wire face inwards I don't know!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Speak to the local Crime Prevention Officer. I suspect that his reply will be that provided it is at least a couple of metres above the level at which anybody will be walking and is properly signed, it will be OK. That is certainly the advice for anti-climb paint.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Good idea. Ta.

is the building, I think you can guess where the lead flashing was even if the shot does not show it:-)

We will also be fitting a sign to say that the new flashing is not lead.

Reply to
ARW

uk.legal.moderated is the place to go for a definitive answer - maybe half-a-dozen conflicting definitive answers if you are unlucky.

My feeling is that the warning sign adds to the liability - you clearly know the stuff is dangerous and yet you still put it there. On the other hand, if it can't be reached by anybody in their normal course of enjoyment of the facility then I think you could spread barbed wire about for the sole purpose of deterring pigeons from crapping all over the roof.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

That only works though if the thief is arrested for any reason and "scanned" at the local nick.

Wouldn't hurt to put up a sign *warning* of the use of Smart Water and CCTV etc.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

You seem to be spending a lot of time on this scout hut.

Does the Akela have especially big t*ts?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Natural 36Ds. I have some photos of them if you want a look.

Reply to
ARW

Will he mind if you share the pics?

mark

Reply to
mark

You are assuming any potential low life can read English !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Special posts which lean inwards at the top, for the barbed wire part.

Andrew Gabriel

I was expecting a picture of Auschwitz.....

Reply to
ARW

Or read.

Reply to
ARW

But that's not stock fencing ! Stock fencing uses chestnut spiles not concrete posts!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Or just a notice saying anti-climb paint

Reply to
alan

Well common sense would suggest that as long as its above any height anyone can reach its of no consequence unless it come off and creates a hazard.

However I know better than to assume the law is based on common sense.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Can I fit the sign on the roof?

It would teach the thieving bastards a lesson:-).

Reply to
ARW