The Good Old Days of UK.D-I-Y

Page 1 of 2
Been reading UK.D-I-Y at Google Groups for the last couple of years.
Thanks to the antics of the idiot cross-posters who appeared just before Christmas, it's now virtually unuseable.
While we wait for the EU to realise the wisdom of euthanasing these morons for the good of the species, can anyone recommened a decent newsgroup reader for Mac OS X that will filter out the chaff and get back to the real business of Andy/IMM ding-dongs about cheap power tools and land reform?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

The Apple UK website has a free e-mail and news reader software package on it I think, so it might be worth a look.
mike wrote:

If you use netscape, ou can hit 'K' to 'ignore thread' which is mostly what I do.
On 19 Jan 2004 16:12:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) wrote:

SLRN is available for Mac OS X (and is excellent IMO):
http://ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu/~aiyar/slrn.html http://slrn.sourceforge.net /
- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) writes:

The only Mac user I know who is active on Usenet uses MacSoup.
All you actually need is a newsreader that will kill on a line like;
/^Newsgroups: .*,.*,.*,.*,.*/h:j
So, anything crossposted to more than 5 (in this case) groups gets killed.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) wrote in message

MT-Newswatcher then create two filters: Filters > Create Filter for..(uk.d-i-y) > Matching & Action
and select "kill" if "Path" contains "news.alt.net"
then do it again but with
"kill" if "Path" contains "news.ambyte.co.uk"
..and that pretty much snuffs out most of them. Also handles any nymshifting and header preloading.
    john snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John Byre) writes:

A few weeks ago, I noticed one of my transit peers had started refusing to relay such articles. Examination of articles in my newsspool from "news.alt.net" showed excessively long path which made me wonder if there are a lot of transit servers blocking "news.alt.net", forcing articles to take long paths around the blockages. Path lengths for "news.alt.net" seem to be shorter now, but the block I'm aware of is still in place.

Hadn't noticed that one, but "peernews.infracons.co.uk" looked like another noise source.
I haven't seen any official discussion, but it would appear that some of the transit servers have decided to stop relaying articles from leaf nodes which are mostly just noise sources.
--
Andrew Gabriel

A really useful newsreader feature would be "ignore any item crossposted to n or more newsgroups". n=3 or 4 would be about right.
--
Laurie R

see my post on newsproxy.
filter rule of
* drop xref:*:*:*:*
does the trick. ie drop if xposted to >= 4 groups.
-- Richard Sampson

Only if your local server takes those groups already. It would be better to kill on Newsgroups: rather than Xref:
In MacSOUP it is:
Kill on regexp "Newsgroups:.*,.*,.*," for example.
To kill anything posted to >= 4 groups.
Another useful feature in MacSOUP is Autokill, hence:
Autokill if Newsgroups contains "alt" Autokill if From contains " snipped-for-privacy@easy.com"
are useful entries since they kill not only the original post (anything cross-posted to alt.* and anything posted by IMM) but also any followup posts. This is extremely effective at rescuing uk.d-i-y from being the wasteland that it was to being a useful newsgroup.
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Wasteland? Still 100's of on topic posts a day... but I have been filtering out the carp so I guess I don't know what I've been missing!
I'd put in a vote for the Newswatcher family of readers (eg YA-Newswatcher or MT-Newswatcher). I'm still using OS9 (and YA-Newswatcher) but I know that at least the MT version is OS X now, and YA may be too. Any proper Newsreader should be infinitely preferable to using Google Groups IMO.
Not used MacSOUP, so I can't do a comparison.
DAvid
--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee

This post made me curious - during the troubles I wanted to do something about crossposts, but I couldn't work out how in Xnews, and anyhow it has an excellent one-press killfiler.
So I never did filter cross-posting, but I haven't seen any more than the usual rough trade for weeks, and I kind of like to watch that.
So is btinternet missing half the posts, I know the server is somewhat flaky by all the references to posts I never saw, though sometimes they turn up a few weeks later, my guess is that that BT retrained posties for IT.
Theo other thing is what are you lot on?
I've been getting over 300 posts a day for ages?
mike r

The rubbish is certainly being carried by BT's transit peers (I have two peering connections with them). It might be that BT clean it off their normal customer facing servers -- I've never used those.

uk.d-i-y with 30 day expirey currently has 10923 in my newspool after cancels. That's 364 articles/day plus whatever is cancelled (which I can't easily work out by newgroup, and would vary widely from one newsserver to another in any case).
--
Andrew Gabriel

No idea how bad it is now - but it was annoying enough around Xmas for me to bother setting up a filter. Dumping multiply (>=5) cross-posted messages made them all instantly disappear.

ntl
Yes, that sounds about right

On the earlier question of what newsreader to use on a Mac, the following page seems to have a fairly comprehensive list, with download links and reviews...
<http://www.macorchard.com/usenet.html
Both MacSoup and YA/MT-NewsWatcher are highly praised - MacSOUP especially if you want/need to read offline.
David
--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
mike ring wrote:

Netscape, it allows me to 'ignore threads' OK I stll download em, but don't see em.

snipped-for-privacy@elessar.org.uk says...

I've just started trialling a free newsreader called Gravity (it's for Windows). It does that very easily and thereby kills the troublesome messages. There are so many configuration options that I'll be fiddling for while yet before deciding whether to stick with it, but haven't run up against any serious problems so far. Got mine from http://www.k7v.com/nonags/newsr.html W.
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:34:42 +0000 (UTC), Woodspoiler
not sure really..:

Hi there use Free Agent or Agent and you can filter out either persons or groups or both. Works a treat.

Turnpike 5.01 suits me fine
--
Andrew

On 20 Jan 2004, Elessar wrote

Xnews has precisely this feature -- http://Xnews.newsguy.com .
--
Cheers,
Harvey
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

Can it be set to ignore the rest of a thread where more than say 60% of the articles are by Andy Hall and IMM? ;-)
John S