The Cost of Flooding - OT

Hi all

Living on the outskirts of Hull, I obviously know a few people affected by the June floods. Many of these are in limbo so-to-speak living between caravans, the first floor of their home or local hotels. So obviously insurance companies will be picking up the tab for this lot.

Talking to one of my colleagues who is currently in this situation he tells me that the contractor doing rewiring works has stated that he must rewire the whole house because otherwise there will be a mixture of cable specifications/colours which is not permitted!!!!

I wonder how many more similar claims are being made to significantly increase the scope of work done and inflate everyone's insurance policies in the process.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

All of them. After all, they aren't spending their own own money.

Reply to
Huge

Any car that is in a flood is similarly written off completely. Health hazard apparently.

Elfin safety costs a lot these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only if the flood water's gotten into the interior. TBH, I'd be much happier with a new car than a car that's been valeted after having raw sewage in the interior... OTOH I expect pulling the entire interior, cleaning the floor, inside box sections and replacing large portions of the interior would be enough to write off most cars if the insurance companies decided to do it that way - I'd expect leather seats from the dealer to be £500 each.

Reply to
Doki

Nonsense, you stick a label on the consumer unit stating "This installation contains mixed standard wiring colours" and record the fact on the installation completion certificate.

However, with a flooded house, I would be tempted to replace all fixed wiring anyway. Even if not immersed, you never know where capillary action could have taken the water.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgh

I tend to agree. If its an insurance job gut the place, check the structure and redo EVERYthing. Plumbing as well. Total refurb from bare structure up. Probably cheaper anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doki wrote: OTOH I expect pulling the entire interior,

Water damage to some in car electronics could be enough to make writeoff likely?

Reply to
Adrian C