T + E How is it measured?

8.87 according to google:

*2+mm+in+furlongs&btnG=Search(mind you that's the conductor diameter not the overall cable one)

Reply to
John Rumm

*2+mm+in+furlongs&btnG=Search>

That's why I said 'about'...! I only spent a few microfortnights estimating it...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed, but not forgetting to get access to the live or neutral in the cable and clamp round that individually, rather than the whole cable.

(one of my great disappointments using a clamp meter for the first time many years ago; that you can't just clamp round a complete cable and get a reading!)

Reply to
John Rumm

*2+mm+in+furlongs&btnG=Search>>>> (mind you that's the conductor diameter not the overall cable one) >

That's what I like about the google calculator, you can slap in all sorts of daft (and not so daft) calculations with weird and wonderful units, and let it sort out the mess of conversions required...

it can knock 10s of nano millenia of you calculation times ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

HI Andy

Thanks for the reply

I'll get a thermometer on it.....

Yes - got one of those 'somewhere'... Still sorting out boxes after the big move 12 months ago - never did find that nice fluorescent bench lamp !

Well - possibly - but it's only a run of 6ft or so - and I happen to have some spare 2.5mm 'by me'....

The wiring from the FCU down to the heat pump has been done in the same T&E - guess I could double up on that as well.....

Probably unnecessary - but given that it's a timber workshop containing all of my market stock plus vast amounts of stained glass & etc - I'd rather be safe than barbecued

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I know _exactly_ what you mean - "Huh - this thing doesn't work !"

"Oh - I see "

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

OK - will look out the clamp meter and a digi thermometer and see if I can't catch the thing when it's running (control is by means of a _really clever_ micro with an instruction manual in a mix of Engish and German... so it's not as simple as just throwing a switch

Still - gives me time to look for that clamp meter !

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Lurch" wrote

Wise words! I recently replaced a damaged old cooker cable with new 6 sqmm. and had to mic up the new stuff to check it. The existing cable had far thicker insulation both on the individual conductors and the grey sheathing.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I would expect a hard wired 9kw oven to be cabled in 10mm T&E which is (normally) multistranded (7 x 1.35mm)

It can also be quoted as "if you're not sure, don't do it" especially with electricity and gas, basic survival sense.

Who mentioned qualified electricians, I said 'electrical college' this can also include engineering, TV & Radio engineers, etc.

but not as many as I have seen by so called 'competent' DIYers and handymen!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Darn - can't find the clamp meter... ...but could find the digital thermometer...

Ambient temperature in the Studi was running at about 30 C this afternoon.

Tucking the temperature probe between the cable and the wall gave a reading of 41 C after the heat pump had been running for 30 mins or so....

Is it fair to assume that 10 C above ambient is OK for this cable ??

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yup, that sounds about right for a cable like that at about half capacity; especially if you allow for some insulating properties of the PVC sheath.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah - excellent - I'll have to find something else to worry about !

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Which is exactly what I'm doing. I'm not entirely sure so. I'm asking those wiser than I am. If I'm not sure I won't do it. Once I am sure I will.

I assumed 'qualified electricians' went to 'electrical college'.

Debateable point :-)

Cheers yourself!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No - strictly it should be 2.5mm² as it's the cross sectional area of a single conductor - but not the earth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thw wiki is good for handy but hard to find data like this

meow2222

Reply to
John Rumm

Have they changed 1mm^2 method 1 to 16? (was 15.5 IIRC)

OK, I have updated the table here:

you have a quick check and make sure I have transposed it correctly?

I take it D & E don't have method numbers yet?

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a query over that section of the wiki, it says that XLPE can be used as the OUTER covering of SWA, I've only used SWA a couple of times, but I thought the "waxy plastic" insulation of the individual cores was the XLPE, no?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The short answer is that the description should not be so exact in specifying "outer" - since I think you will probably find the outer and the individual wires insulation are all in XLPE.

The manufacturers tend to refer to "PVC extruded bedding" which is the layer of insulation directly under the armour and over the individually insulated wires. Some cables use ethylene propylene rubber for this - which may give you the slightly waxy feel. I would expect either way this would also need to be a cross linked (XL) material in a 90 deg C cable.

I have reworked the description a bit:

John Rumm

You are not wrong about the differences. I used some 6.0 LSF T&E today. It looked and felt like 4mm T&E.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth