6mm T&E cable routing requirements

I've just installed an electric shower. The 6mm T&E cable runs from the loft down through an unheated airing cupboard. Does the cable have to be inside trunking or conduit where it runs through the airing cupboard, or can I simply staple it to the back of the cupboard's door frame, using cable clips like this:

Many thanks for any clarification..

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

In general, no, it does not need to be in trunking.

Doing so will mean the cable will get a slightly lower rating compared to being in free air (clipped-direct method).

However, if you have a reason to suspect the cable will get clouted by hard things in normal use of the cupboard, then it should be protected (installation appropriate to the environment). It's not a hard and fast rule, you will need to assess it.

Cables are normally surface mounted and clipped in airing cupboards, if you want a "how's it normally done" baseline :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Clipped direct to a surface is fine unless in an area where its likely to be subject to mechanical damage.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Many thanks, Tim and John! That's what I expected, but thought I'd better check!

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

I agree with what Tim and John said.

But is the correct name for an unheated airing cupboard just "cupboard"?

Reply to
ARW

Also, make sure you route it such that no clothes, towels, or other fabrics can be piled in contact with it. The cable needs to be ventilated.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

May need to derate for higher ambient temperature (I assume 40C would be a safe ceiling for an airing cupboard).

Reply to
Tim Watts

"ARW" wrote in news:mnjs83$m4l$1@dont- email.me:

In my case it is a cupboard with a doorway but no actual door. So the slatted shelves are open to the air on landing, apart from a curtain which I draw accross if a guest is in the house!

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:mnkd1i$kjj$2 @dont-email.me:

Good point - thanks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim x321x

Please may I ask, what power rating is the shower?

I was thinking of installing an electric shower as a back-up to the aging combi boiler. I thought that 10.5kW was the most powerful electric shower, so I went to TLC's calculator and typed in 11kW and

12 metres of cable, clipped direct. The calculators aid 6mm^2 would be fine; I was expecting to have to run 10mm^2 cable.

Sorry to hijack the post. It's too late for the OP as he has already installed 6mm^2 but for everyone else, should you use 6mm^2 or 10mm^2 cable for showers?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Yes.

Oh, more detail?

;-)

It depends on the circumstances; primarily the rating of the shower, and the length and nature of the cable route.

This gives you the full explanation:

John Rumm

My local council powered its street lamps with 'clipped direct' to a barbed wire fence for a 'temporary' 5 months using what looked like 4mm T&E .......... thought it a bit mad, as in event of fault the very long fence would become live.

Reply to
rick

Only for 0.4 seconds.

Reply to