superglue dissolver

I used superglue to attach some LEDs to an aluminium panel, but some of the glue

stuck to the front of the LED, anyone know of a suitable substance to remove the

spots of dried glue on the LEDs, I tried some 'superglue debonder' but that didn't seem to work. I can't really file it off as that will scratch the LED when I slip :-()

any ideas, cheers

Reply to
whisky-dave

Methinks you may need to start over.

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

Tony

Reply to
TMC

File or sand without slipping, polish the scratches out afterwards?

Try a sharp knife?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Superglue debonder will work, but as soon as it evaporates the superglue dries again.

The easestt thing is acetone (nail varnish remover) and cotton wool. Juts keep soaking and rubbing.

Try NOT to breathe too much of it or you end up with a mother of a hangover.

If you can soak the offending arae in a (covered) dish of acetone overnight, thats is best.

Acetone and nitromethane are the only two more (or less) available solvents that work: there are others, but they are in the realms of 'need a lab to find them'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nonono,. Acetone will work, just not very fast.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , whisky-dave writes

Chisel them off and try again

Reply to
geoff

But it might attack the plastic the LED casing is made from.

Reply to
R D S

I thought they were epoxy encapsulated.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've heard that GBL (Gamma Butyrolactone) is good for removing superglue. It's a very useful solvent for some applications, but is getting a bad name because it apparantly has some alternative uses (gay clubs in Vauxhall from what I've heard).

I bought some from Airfox networks a year or so ago. It's quite pricey but you don't need much and it's the best thing for some jobs. I havn't tried it for superglue though, so I can't guarantee that it will work.

Caecilius

Reply to
Caecilius

I'll have somewhere between 30-60 to do, and I've tried with aknife, scaple, fingernails, files(needle) .

I'll try nail varnish remover too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Maybe I should pop in to my local gay club and ask for it :)

cheer's I'll shop around.

Reply to
whisky-dave

whiskey? dave...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Yeah cheers, just a small pint, no ice and no Es.

cheers :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave