String/fibre filled flexible cable ?

I'm wanting to replace the flex in a V old inertia reel electrical lead. Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled. I presume the string takes some of the strain off the cores. An invaluable tool for me in the workshop but now the flex is showing some signs of wear. The device is probably 70 years old [1], doesn't use slip rings but an ingenious mechanism of pulleys to spool the flex onto the drum. I've been using it daily for about 35 years. At full stretch of 12m, the pull required is quite vigorous. I suspect modern standard flex would not put up with such for too long. It is only employed for light loading only. Have goggleyed a bit but no joy. I hope you knowledgeable folk may be able to steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks Nick.

[1] I removed this from an English Electric mobile generator that was used to power searchlights during WWII. This cable reeler provided power to an inspection lamp that would reach anywhere within (and some distance beyond) the 36ft trailer.
Reply to
Nick

And aids the flexibilty. I think the flex sold for clothes irons is cotton filled rubber but also is cotton covered.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

..and abraids quite easily.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can still buy traditional rubber flex. At a price.

Dave Plowman (News)

...snip...

But says "light stress" which I imagine is no good for the OP.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I've got a reel of it in a smaller size and it includes the string.

You'd have to define 'stress'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Am 02.09.2012 20:18, schrieb Nick:

Lapp has a varity of cables for industrial/heavy duty applications. Maybe you find something here:

luck!

Reply to
Matthias Czech

This is the type of cable, H07 RN-F and this is what you need, but with fewer cores

Grimly Curmudgeon