Flexible cable size query

I've been landed with sorting a friend's Miele vacuum cleaner. Erratic operation traced to a break in the mains lead which might be traceable but better replaced.

My problem is working out what the cable size is. Measuring the wire diameter with digital calipers can give either 1, 1.25 or 1.5mm^2 !! The motor is 1000w which would suggest either 0.75 or 1mm^2, but it is possible for mechanical reasons that a heavier cable has been used.

It's a 2 core cable with the inner insulation showing 2.33 mm dia (ooops, just spotted that I'd put m^2 above!) and the outer 6.27mm dia. I've tried googling but cannot find a site that gives overall diameters.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It needs to be mechanically robust for this kind of application.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

"Nominal OD 5.5mm"

One thing - I have a Miele too - and the cable is very flexible - almost as good as silicone, but I do not think it is. It might have more and finer strands than regular flex - did you get that impression?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I agree. And maybe the cable reel mechanism will not work well with any cable not very close to the original in specifications.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks Tim - did look at the TLC pages but missed the critical info; "it must be there somewhere because he says it is !!!"

The flexibility is a concern, but the existing one is not 'silicone' like and looks typical. But having said that there are a lot of flexible cables that aren't that flexible.

I'll point the risk out to the owner.

Thanks again Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Chances are it'll be where the cable flexes most, at the plug or strain relief at the machine. Unless of course the owner has a habit of winding the cable around the storage hooks with piano string tension...

If it's near one of the ends just cut at the break and reterminate.

As for ID'ing the cable no numbers or markings printed or embossed onto the outer insulation?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cable breaks are nearly always at one end or other. Cut it off 6" past where it comes out of the plug/machine and refit

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ere it comes out of the plug/machine and refit

Yes, well guys - of course you are right. I cut off the plug and the fault was still there on the Line. I decided I would see what Bn'Q had so cut off the cable about a foot from reel end and realised it would be sensible to check again before setting out - and it was OK, so it will go back with the cable about a foot shorter and a plug from the junk box.

I did check the Bn'Q stock and the cable there, orange in colour which would be OK for the car cleaning vacuum, was about the same flexibility.

Thanks for all your help - as always. Rob

Reply to
robgraham