Storm preparation...

It was a closed coffin, though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

He's kept us updated. Departure was delayed around two hours. Crossing wasn't too bad. A number were sick, but he was fine.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

It's not rough until you lose things off the deck.

My dad was proud of not being sick on that one!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

4 dead, widespread travel distruption and 65000 homes without power.

I think they covered their backs pretty well.

Reply to
ARW

On Monday 28 October 2013 22:12 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I agree.

The dire warnings made me clear the garden of loose crap which was wise - even a big planter with a sage tree in blew over and the wheelie bins were all over the place.

Robertsbridge signalman told me this morning that 4 trees were down on the Hastings line from Tunbridge Wells (= no trains most of the day).

Local devastation was releatively minor from what I saw - but the A21 was shut by a fallen tree and other villages had lots of trees dowm.

We had no electricity from 5am to nearly 10am - possibly related to Dungeness B tripping out (Hastings blipped out the same time we did so it seemed like a wide area fault - but being tiny, we were probably low down on the list of places to restore power to). No big deal - weather was warm - just slightly annoying.

Wind was quite viscious around 3am-8am. Not the worst gales I've experienced by a long shot, but very persistent.

The kids enjoyed the power cut - they busied themselves making art and playing with their non electronic toys. I have threatened a "power cut" every week. They threatened some interesting things back...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I see 3 grades of roughness on the short crossings. Nothing fastened down on the car deck is normal. Next up is lorries fastened down, which means some the passengers will be un-eating their last meal. If they also fasten the coaches down, then almost all the passengers will be making friends on the great white telephone, and they close the galley. I daresay there is another stage where they fasten the cars down as well....

Reply to
John Williamson

Do you know the roughest crossing I was on was just after some fish and chips and six pints of bitter beer!..

Felt absolutely fine:))..

Reply to
tony sayer