I spent a long time

I spent a long time preparing and installing a US flag/pole and the associated lighting.

I also spent 7 years in the Navy.

I hate Clinton, I consider Kerry to be a traitor, and if asked should we have invaded Iraq I'll be the first to say yes.

But if this complete bullshit should ever alter the constitution - I'll rip down and burn every flag I see, after I burn the flag that draped my father's coffin.

Matt

I don't often agree with Democrats, but this makes a lot of sense. See the quote below.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, that pretty much sums it up, for me anyway.

Altering the constitution to protect the flag is about as clever as 'freedom fries'... IMO.

Reply to
Matt

I spent 20 years in the Marines.

I like Clinton, I consider George Bush to be a traitor and an evildoer, and if asked should we have invaded Iraq, I'll be the first to say NO, just as I said at the time.

No president in my lifetime has squandered as much money, ruined our enviromental laws, screwed over the poor, and killed as many innocent people as the Bush administration.

The people of Nazi Germany were fooled in 1936, just as the Bush administration is fooling half of America today.

God bless our country, I hope we survive this bunch of criminals currently in office.

Reply to
cowboy

Well, burning the flag IS considered the proper way of disposing it.

But in any case, I think that congress is acting a bit foolishly

Reply to
Gene

So what else is new?

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Absolutely. This ought to be addressed by statute, not a constitutional amendment. You save that for basic concepts. The Constitution is the framework for all our laws.... it should not be a law itself.

This is inappropriate. Don't they have anything IMPORTANT to do?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That's why the Founding Fathers wisely required the consent of three-fourths of the states, too, before amending the Constitution. There's much more common sense, and a lot less political posturing, in the state legislatures than in Congress.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This *has* been addressed by statute. And the Supreme Court declared that statute to be unConstitutional. Hence the proposed amendment.

No, it *is* the law:

"This Constitution ... shall be the supreme Law of the Land, and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding." [Article VI, clause 2]

Reply to
Doug Miller

US Navy here. Amen to what you said, a viewpoint shared by many, especially outside the US. Almost without exception, the Presidency makes the incumbent a "centrist."

"By their deeds shall you know them."- remember who said that?

"We have too much religion, and damn little Christianity."- re the later "troubles"

barry
[snip]

Since you mention it, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC), who started the freedom fries thing, now regrets it, says the U.S. invaded Iraq with no justification, and has introduced legislation to begin withdrawing U.S. forces by autumn 2006:

[Apologies for adding to a very off-topic thread]

Reply to
Luke

That's why nobody ask your opinion. Idiot.

Reply to
Sans

And it *is* unconstitutional. My right to say what I think is predicated on your right to do the same. If I squelch your right, who's to stop someone from doing the same to me? I find the burning of the American flag very offensive but I don't think jailing someone over it is the answer. Believe me, I can think of some ways to express my displeasure that are absolutely within my rights.

Where do you draw the line then? Should they include other aspects of life such as the inalienable right to keep your dog from crapping in my yard? I find

*that* offensive.

One needs to be very circumspect about changing the Constitution. It needs to remain damned near sacred.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Is that your words or would you like the attribute the quote.

I might use it someday and I hate to steal other peoples quotes.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

There's nothing new in Congress acting foolishly. And the new Supreme Court decision appears to be from Beijing.

Reply to
Gort

Which is why they made it difficult to amend.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have never understood the near-deification of the US flag -- unless it is that, having overthrown the legitimate (if stupid) ruler more than

200 years ago, Americans have to have something to worship, something that they do not elect and cannot replace every four years or less as the mood takes them.

I have seen Australian-flag beach towels and dish towels on sale in Australia, and in UK I once saw a faded and tattered Union Jack tied on the end of a load of lumber as a warning device. Do Australia and UK have an official flag etiquette? Quite likely -- for the government and military -- but I never heard what it was in either country, and it may apply only to "official" uses. Are Australians and Brits less patriotic, less likely to fight to defend their rights and freedoms, than Americans? I don't think so.

Perce

On 06/22/05 10:56 pm Matt tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I think the OP said the same as you.

The flag is a symbol only. To uphold what it stands for you must allow its desecration or inappropriate use. To do otherwise is to stifle the very thing that a good many brave souls died for.

Honor the principal. Do not worship the graven image.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You're joking, aren't you?!?

Reply to
Luke

Matt, I am sincerely interested in your comments on this article:

Flag is a symbol, remember? By Reggie Rivers

Luke