Long time no read

Hi all fellow wreck.gardeners!

I haven't been on newsgroups all summer. I can't keep up with it all. Plus I've really gone over to forums, the info is good, the camaraderie nice, topics are focused, etc.

There's a new garden forum called The Easy Garden here

. It's branched off from the Backyard Chickens forum that I've been busy with, having just put my 15 new babies into their coop out back. We've been busy getting the girls (and three boys, unfortunately, they'll have to go, no roosters allowed here due to the proximity of neighbors, not law or anything) settled, moving gardens, putting in new ones, making pathways, etc. If you're interested in sharing about gardens like we do here, come on over. We can post pictures freely (properly sized, of course!) and share info with like-minded gardeners. Just thought I'd give a head's up to a nice alternative.

Take care, all, and I hope to see a few of you there!

Ann (new chicken owner, beekeeper, and always hardcore gardener!)

Reply to
Ann

Is this "forum" moderated? Can we talk economics and the need for gardening as a revolutionary act and political statement? May Bill, Billy, and Charlie come and play in your "forum"?

Which few of us would you like to see in your "forum"? As far as sharing info with like-minded gardeners, who/what qualifies as like-minded? Is there a quiz or sumpthin' to determine if we are like minded? Some Board of Approverators?

Giving up on usenet, eh, Ann? It's dying anyway, so who the fsck cares. According to some recent articles, the Army is taking up monitoring the internet for subversives? Is growing your own a subversive act, I wonder, and can this be discussed on your new "forum"? Do you know something that we proles need to know? Are you abandoning The Usenet because of dangerous associations?

Heh heh, I just looked at your "forum" rules, regulations, and such stuff...registration, automatic newsletter, yada, yada....the usual horseshit and loss of privacy.

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood......"

Have fun in PollyannaLand, Ann.

Charlie

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy: that is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie expounded:

As sweet as ever, aren't you, Charlie? Loss of privacy has me stumped. No, your reactionary bullshit wouldn't be welcome, but your gardening knowledge would be. Can't be nice, can you? Oh well. Yes, I'm leaving usenet because I have no time in my life for negative energy. Enjoy wallowing in it!

Reply to
Ann

Loss of privacy -> meaning: Are you going to sell the users mail and email address to junk mailers so you can profit at the expense of others miss fortunes of getting lots of junk mail.

Taking free existing knowledge and repackaging it for sale?

One needs both, Negative and Positive energy to create a useful balanced circuit as in life. They go hand in hand. Hens but not one Rooster - that is just soooo wrong - how unbalanced in life is that. I love that crowing sound in the morning - It is the sound of a balanced life.

Restricting ones free speech IS bullshit !!! Long live the Usenet !!!!

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Bill who wonders if the lord of lords would let this thru. They must be all knowing so the potential for growth is defined and ready for sale. This doesn¹t have much to do with gardens. Yet helping the garden grow then destroying it harvest we call it. Shows up in a round about way. Want to have someone control what to think? Gary Snyder would say the body must be broken for life. I¹d say we must create or have creation prepared for us. But I digress.

Reply to
Bill

On Jul 14, 12:29=A0am, Charlie wrote:

th Galbraith- Hide quoted text -

well.............it's just nice to see you Charlie.........I finally refound the music you burnt and sent to me. now if only I had the stereo and burner hooked up to send YOU some music!! lost your addy......could you send it back to me on my yahoo account? gardening madly with me Englishman happily rebuilding my life after 30 years of abuse isn't easy but love makes it WONDERFUL (and absolute connectivity and respect) I almost don't know how to act if I weren't so centered and confident that James is my true husband and long overdue other half..................two cats outa four, the two dawgs, picked the first ripe tomato, got beans flowering, herb patch along the rental house is flowering and drawing the pollinators in masse..........hummers visiting the neighbor's mimosa so it's not all city birds............I have cow horn sweet peppers (not many but some is better than NONE) and the few containers I DID manage to get into the little low slung Buick bucket station wagon (1994) is better than no gardens. just want to unpack the boxes that aren't unpacked and find those lost garden hand tools...........SIGH..........or get money enough to get to karol's and load everything she has (including the boxes I forgot about with all my beloved and horded old clay and glazed pots) including things I can't replace once and for all............................will live here in Greeneville for at least another year? or until James gets his pension and we can get our own little piece of land with a little modular or double wide and have Rhode Island Reds and flowers, fruit trees, berries, gardens and too much love, music, music music (James is musical not to mention a musician, writes, plays, adores world music from his exposure when he was in the Royal Navy when he was a sprout ) and finish raising his youngest son who will be graduating high school next year and go to college to be a meteorologist.............holler at me! love to my garden buddies no matter how much mud is slung around. I visit the gardenweb forums myself, but always come to the wreck gardens because it's where I began..........

keep me posted on life in the gardens and patches. I am anxious to hear from all of youse! maddie (aka madgardener) stretch gardening in the green bowl surrounded by the Cherokee National Forest and Appalachian mountains in zone 7b

Reply to
madgardener1

"Dan L." expounded:

First of all, Dan, I don't own the forum. I've been on three of Rob's forums for over a year now and nary a bit of spam has sullied my inbox. All I wanted to do was to offer some of my friends here on wreck.gardens a nice little alternative. Of course people who don't know me (I've posted here since 1994) may think I have ulterior motives, but those who do know me know I'm a true gardener, that's what I do, that is what makes me happy. Usenet is fine, but I've come to enjoy actually meeting people in real life and those connections were made via these forums. I've met a few from here, too, but the trolls and bullshit just got to be too much for me. So as of August, when my Newsguy account comes up for renewal, I'm off. I'll spend the $69 a year on a Carbonite backup account. I just don't come here enough to warrant it. If I want to I'll use the lousy Comcast account after that.

As for roosters, I dearly want one, but my neighbors will have a fit, our houses are just too close together for it. So I'll have happy hens and eggs, and manure for my gardens, and all will be right with the world. For the moment.

There's plenty of free speech on the forums, you just can't drag every single thread down into a political rant that serve no purpose other than to dig at anyone who thinks a bit differently than you do. I have no problem with that, because I'm a gardener on a gardening subject. I save my politics for more appropriate forums.

Reply to
Ann

This isn't going to be a long dramatic good-bye is it? There must be a drama forum, somewhere, that you could save it for. You had information for us. You gave it. We thank you for it. Go or stay, as you like, but this circling the drain is boring.

Reply to
Billy

Billy expounded:

Hey, Billy, who died and made you king? Oh, that's right, no one. I was speaking to Dan. No drama, just conversation . You have the option to ignore me, something you have never been able to do. Why not try it now?

Reply to
Ann

Ann I am sorry to hear that you won't be around. I've enjoyed your posts very much over the years. Give me an email now and then to say hello and how you're doing, OK? Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

He did. Can't you smell the corpse? He makes one or two good points even so.

And it's your option to ignore Billy. Still, the query was about how you manage to claim you're leaving usenet time and again but are still here still complaining about crap hardly worthy of notice. For Billy it actually qualifies as a reasonable question. I hope you really have changed your mind about leaving, though frankly, if you're present or not I might not notice. If usenet's boring or annoying, stepping away from it's easy.

I leave periodically if I realize I'm spending more than an hour a day. The time can build up. I use most of my computer time for actual paying work (not all of it pays well but if it pays anything at all I'll do it for hours on end. I poke into a smaller and smaller number of newsgroups to keep from wasting whole days. At the moment rec.gardens is the ONLY usenet group I'm looking at, but I'm on a couple slightly private boards for literature and films and whatnot that interest me topically. So leaving usenet doesn't have to be a "I hate you! I'm leaving!" sort of thing, it can be more like leaving a touristy alligator farm cuz how many times can you sit there watching some one-armed dumbass wrastle a gator.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I'm glad you found a way out of this crummy newsgroup. I thanked you for the information. I'm glad this isn't going to be dramatic . . . round and round and round . . .

Reply to
Billy

Nothing sweet about me at all, my dear. Civil and polite when necessary or expedient, but never sweet.

Your being stumped doesn't surprise me, Ann. You seem to be so naive when it comes to these issues, for one who claims to be a longtime user. Some time ago you posted a link to a picture of yours to someone. That link led to your directory of pictures. Curious little feller that I am, I couldn't resist nosing about in all those photos. I found some of your, or your husbands, stockpiles and pictures interesting. You should do well against the marauding hordes when TSHTF and you can only maintain one home.

Privacy? Loss of privacy? Of course you are stumped. You, who outed me, in that I had talked back channel to someone on this group....that someone who keeps making mention of that fact. You also ran your mouth about it and then excused yourself? You didn't even understand the issue. You may claim you don't remember, no matter. This is not respectful of privacy. This person, this friend of yours, is still making mention of this. This is not something that I appreciate or acknowledge. Yeah, I am still pissed about that breach of privacy. We of Scots-Irish descent do not easily forget slights and offenses.

According to one online dictionary, you are the one who is reactionary, Ann. Choose your words carefully. Freudian?

  1. of, pertaining to, marked by, or favoring reaction, esp. extreme conservatism or rightism in politics; opposing political or social change.

n. pl. re·ac·tion·ar·ies An opponent of progress or liberalism; an extreme conservative.

reactionary

adjective

  1. extremely conservative

noun

  1. an extreme conservative; an opponent of progress or liberalism

re'actionary [-??-] adjective, noun (plural re'actionaries) (a person) opposed to change and progress or favouring a return to things as they were.

Dualism Ann. A coin has two sides. The WOLF may be at your door soon.

Watch out, it is a long way down to the bottom of the canyon.

I revel in wallowing in both sides...both in the exquisite mystery and beauty of life and the abject ugly evil side of same. Look within yourself......both exist. One cannot reject one and only embrace the other.

Charlie

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear." --Marcus Tullius Cicero 42B.C.

Reply to
Charlie

And I'll echo the thought. But I won't be missing Ann as I joined the forum she posted.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Ditto what Cheryl said!! Nan in DE

Reply to
Nanzi

...tells me a lot about Dan. Ann seems to be considerate in not having a rooster -- something that is foreign to some here. I live in the boonies for many reasons, principal among them is to be far from inconsiderate noise producing knuckle-draggers. I also bother nobody when I play VERY loud classical music on occasion.

Da Svadanya, Ann

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

Hmmmm ....

I also live in the boonies, for the same reasons! Except - I play VERY loud alternative music ... on occasion.

I am very considerate. That is why I moved to the boonies a long time ago also. Sometimes one has to stand up to those that tell others on how to live their lives - I am not one of them. I tell others to stand up for their lives - I just move and avoid confrontation. Is there a paradox in the those statements :)

I love the boonies - No lawn cutting laws, no amateur radio antenna restrictions, I can have a stinky compost pile, I can have farm animals, no noise restrictions, no police department, no fire department and no ... hospitals ... uh oh.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.