Storage heaters HELP!!!!!!!!

I've just got a new place with horrible storage heaters and i'm wanting to know if it is possible to paint these? some sort of special paint etc?
If not possible can u put some sort of cover over them?
Has anybody got any ideas on this?
Cheers in adavnce

Chuck them in a skip and get a decent gas-fired heating system! You'll then have heat when *you* want it and save a fortune in running costs.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

then
Some 'Land Lords' might object though !.....

And some people do not have gas!
I live in an area where gas is not laid on to the village. In some places LPG and oil are not serious options because of tank location factors.
I also lived in a city flat ( housing association) where the gas was removed from the block for "safety reasons" and storage heaters installed. I was the only one in the block who had the mains utility connected by the way. They disconnected me and told me I couldnt have it.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:54:26 +0000, Jerry. wrote:

It would be a foolish Landlord that refused the offer by a tenant to replace the heating system with GCH at the their own expense!
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On 12 Dec 2003 13:32:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (lioneluk) wrote:

Maybe exhaust paint?

Don't cover them at all. -*DANGEROUS*.
They'll heat up to the temp of the bricks inside!

DG
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:51:33 +0000, derek wrote:

There is one place I do work on with these. Every new tenant has to find your that they must not be covered. There are warnings on the units. The landlord stresses the importance but every one of them has to find out that if you cover them then they switch off and need to be manually reset.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
(lioneluk) wrote:

Does this mean you shouldn;t use those "nice" MDF radiator covers over them? I have several in 100% original victorian rooms which I need / would like to hide.
Tony
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:00:09 +0000, TonyK wrote:

The issue is that anything that resticts the flow rate through the units increases the temperature of the air emerging from the top of the unit. If the unit were a fan or convector heater then likely a safety cutout would trip and the temperature would reduce directly.
With storage heaters the trip will prevent them reheating the following night, the bricks inside are probably still at 300C or more. MDF covers will probably not affect the overall heat output but it will mean that the air emerging is at a higher temperature. The manufacturers may have a view on the matter - although they are likely to err on the side of caution. It might also cause them the cut off to trip.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
(lioneluk) wrote:

find
out
reset.
them?
like to

Cheers Ed
The particular one I saw locally had a mesh grille (sp) on the top and front so air flow from the top shouldn't be an issue. At least I know what to look at for.
Tony
I think the existing old, faded, dented, burnt, dirty, tatty casings will be 100% better than those horrible MDF monstrosities.
eeek!
dg

SNIP
front
look
B&Q Everywhere paint is marketed as suitable for radiators. There are also proprietary radiator paints available.
There are possibly some better looking modern ones available, if they are the big old ugly ones.
Dimplex and Unidaire are just two manufacturers that come to mind.
dg