steel plate instead of padstone for loftconversion

my structural engineer has specified that a padstone (100 x 400 x 215 ) be placed under all beams and post bearings to support the new loft conversion.

Since some posts are to rest on top of a loadbearing blockwall is it not possible/legal to instead of first chipping out the void for the padstone to put a steelplate on top of the wall on which the post will rest. I thought that an "upside down u" -beam could just be put on top of the wall -like you ...put a saddle on a horse - and then stand the post on the u-beam

larry

As long as it is thick enough (as proved by a simple calculation) all you need is a flat steel plate - 20mm thick would be the sort of thing.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I assume you'd have to bed this onto mortar, as otherwise the forces would be concentrated onto the points of contact, resulting in something much weaker.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Yes - didn't think to say so.