Buying steel plate

I'm "improving" my 1300x750 metalwork bench and want to put a steel plate on the double layer (about 80mm) chipboard top. Metal Supermarkets £85+VAT for a 6mm plate - is there anywhere to get steel plate at a significantly better price?
On 24/11/2015 21:31, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

That's a pretty substantial plate. Obviously, it is also a substantial bench but I would be wondering what you are working on that would need that. Presumably you have an anvil for serious hammering? If you do a lot of rivetting on awkward objects I can see there might be a case for it. But on the assumption you are not handling anything weighing more than a couple of hundredweight I would have thought that 3 mm or so would be fine.
The price sounds about right to me, though.
On 24/11/2015 22:21, newshound wrote:

I've no idea what thickness would be appropriate. I picked 6mm because I could just about get that on by myself, but I have been starting to think that really it's not thick enough to be seriously solid yet is also a bit OTT for what I'm (realistically) likely to be doing over the next few years - engine work, bit of light MIG welding, bashing of assorted things (the anvil gets used but it sits on the bench).
On 24/11/2015 23:01, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Isn't having a softer top, ie wood of some kind, a good idea because it won't hurt things put on it? It'll get beaten up, yes, but not terminally so.
Clive George wrote:

He probably wants to weld on it sometimes.
On 25/11/2015 01:25, F Murtz wrote:

and there will sometimes be liquids running around
On 24/11/2015 22:21, newshound wrote:

Yes I'd go for 3mm plate. 6mm is a bit on the heavy side for the size given.
writes

My carpenter tenant was also insisting on 6mm for a metal working bench top. He sourced some suitable offcuts from a ship repair business at Southampton. Paid £30/sheet but I don't have the dimensions.
He says E-Bay offered choices including some in Wales.
--
Tim Lamb

On 25/11/15 09:07, BobH wrote:

I have 3mm plate on my benches, no need for any thicker than that.
On 24/11/2015 22:21, newshound wrote:

When I need any steel I just go down local fabricators ... you can get pieces easy for cash.
6mm does seem a bit too heavy
On 24/11/2015 21:31, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Thanks, folks, for making me rethink - I opted for 4mm at a cost of £48 for 1300x750. One more question - about preventing rust. I don't want to paint it so plan to give it a coat of hard wax polish every now and again - is there a better approach?
On 01/12/2015 11:56, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

That would probably work, but don't forget what mineral oil can achieve. When I started metalwork lessons at school, everything we made was finished by draw-filing and then going down through the emery papers with liberal amounts of oil. Mild steel finished that way is actually quite rust-resistant. My approach for a steel bench would be rub it down with oil-soaked steel wool, repeating the treatment any time you notice a rust patch developing. Indeed, that's what I still do for things like lathe beds and chucks.
newshound wrote:

That brings back memories. I still have a few such pieces in reasonable condition after over 50 years.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

I got some 530x330x10mm steel plates a while back from the local steam railway engineering shop - I think they just ordered them in from somewhere in Plymouth who laser cut them out. Cost me £32+VAT each, so given the size of yours vs. the size of mine, I suspect your deal is OK.

My plates go into a oven (of the cooking variety), so I just sanded them down, covered in (vegetable) oil and "seasoned" them to 300C a few times.
Gordon

Get stainless instead.