flitch beam - cost of steel plate ?

Flitch beams 4 metres long. How much would I expect to pay for steel plate 10mm thick x approx

180mm x 4 metres ? Thanks, Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

In article , sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Yellow pages, Steel Stockholders

"Metal Supermarkets" (a franchise) will be able to give you a price quickly but are unlikely to be cheapest.

Reply to
fred

The message from sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Try your local steel stockist. ISTR stock black mild steel was quite cheap last time I bought a bit.

It is a good bit cheaper to use stock bar rather than getting plate cut to width. There should be something available fairly close to 180 by 10. The stuff I got appears to be 148 by 11 so was probably nominally 150 by

12.
Reply to
Roger

Check out

standard sizes (no prices shown)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

There seems to be something missing from the table. For each width, it quotes 6 different weights per metre - presumably for different thicknesses - but it doesn't say what the thickness *is*.

Reply to
Set Square

Just looked at my records and I paid about £430 (inc VAT) for all my steel. However at least £200 of that was nuts, bolts, plate washers, timber connectors, and joist hangers. So the flitch plates could not have been more than £50 each. That was for four plates averaging 4m each, 8mm thick, 200mm high. It included the drilling and painting with passivating paint. More details here:

John Rumm

John, can you let me know who your supplier was for the steel. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Hi,

Have a look at