Removing a wasps nest.

Hi,

I hadnt been in to the loft for a few months. Last night I found a wasps nest in there. Its only small about the size of a fist and is quite a thing of beauty.

Its at the edge of the roofspace near the eves. Im not sure whether its dormant or not. I was going to try to slide a box underneath it and knock it off the back of the ceiling felt using a long 6' pole. Then quickly place a lid and fly spray it. At least our loft is cold and anything inside should be sluggish I hope.

Do you think it will work and how firmly attached are the nests?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

What you have is almost certainly an over-wintering place for a queen wasp. They are often quite pretty - like little chinese lanterns. Try to give it a generous dose of fly/wasp killer *before* removing it.

Reply to
Set Square

You needn't bother. The wasps leave in the winter and do not re-use old nests. Block up the hole they used to gain access to the loft so they don't re-use the loft space if you don't want them back next year.

(And believe me, I loathe wasps, so if I reckon it's OK to leave them, it likely is.)

Reply to
Huge

Have you seen any wasps around? The only ones I've seen are queens looking for somewhere to hibernate (they easily fall prey to the rolled-up newspaper!). Don't try what you're proposing when wasps are active, i.e. earlier in the season, or they'll make you pay for it, if you're not protected.

I should think it's empty, if you can get it off fairly intact, it will be interesting to examine it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's as big as his fist - so, probably a nest that's been abandoned at this time of the year. One option is to get a plastic bag, and close it around the nest, gathering the whole thing in the bag, which should obviously not have holes! If there's anything alive in there, which I doubt, a few drops of petrol squirted in will quickly gas it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That was pretty much the advice I got from the local authority pest control when I found a couple of nests a few years ago, so I left them, and sold up the following year! Apparently small nests are made at the end of season and are never fully viable.

Reply to
Peter Johnson