Steel bases for conservatories are they any good?

I'm considering using a steel base for a conservatory, does anybody hav

any long term practical experience of them? It does concern me tha there is potential for corrosion problems in the future.

I've been quoted approx £1000 for a base for a 3.0x4.0m conservator how does this compare to other base construction methods?

Has anybody used the prefabricated walls that are available from th same suppliers as the bases?

And

-- pike

Reply to
pike

I used one for my conservatory. I can't give long term indications of longetivity yet, as it has only been installed less than a year. However, the steel used is bloody thick and shouldn't rust particularly quickly.

It is usually more expensive than other methods. There are 4 main reasons why the additional costs might be appropriate in some cases.

(a) Building is to be raised off the floor, making concrete impractical/expensive. (b) To provide storage space underneath (i.e. for garden tools) when space for a shed is at a premium. (c) Where access is very difficult and 3 tonnes of readymix is not easily obtained. (d) Rapid construction (useful for professionals, where there is no time for a raft to go off).

It was the third reason for me. Everything had to be carried through the house, as there was no rear access. The alternative was to use a concrete pump, but there were just too many ways in which the thing could go wrong.

No. I purchased a full height conservatory from

(proper solid lower panels, proper georgian bars separately glazed, rather than stick on, which suited the period of the property. This left a foot or so to fill in below, which I have done (at least started) in tongue and grooved boards painted to match the conservatory. The additional height allows benches etc. to be positioned against the outside wall without encroaching on the windows.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle