Statins (OT)

Although _I_ believe that fat in the diet is a relatively small part of the equation, I do not expect anyone to follow my belief! :-)

I am in the luckier position of having low cholesterol levels so my reading is more limited.

Reply to
polygonum

+1
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can spend 6 - 7 years of your life learning nutrition and it will all boil down to a simple formula; eat fresh veg' and fruit.

Processed 'anything' is junk.

Reply to
RayL12

Too much fruit can be a problem - all that fructose (and, indeed, sucrose in some fruit).

Lots of vegetables can be problematical for some people - e.g those which have goitrogenic effects.

Reply to
polygonum

I too have read such. One such 'theory' is for the body to re-balance excess salt content by wrapping it in cholesterol.

Reply to
RayL12

I have no doubt that that is true. Though, I struggle to accept it as a condition considering that humankind evolved from eating just those things.

Reply to
RayL12

I am not sure that is correct. Man probably evolved eating fruit, nuts and meat/fish.

vegetables came later.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't bother, chaps; we have another nutter in our midst.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mine said 80/20 body/diet.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Only mentioned vegetables and fruit - not nuts. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

And anyone with arthritis might like to try avoiding tomatoes and sweet peppers.

But 'humankind' isn't a static object. I have a blood-group that did not arise in Africa, and group AB appeared in the last 900 years or so somewhere in the Northern Hemispere.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Some is certainly generated, but how much varies with the individual.

That is pure bovine excrement. If excess salt gets wrapped in anything it is additional water retention leading to raised blood pressure. (also a potentially life shortening condition)

I suggest you discount anything you have read on that website. The net is full of kooks and nutters expounding crazy "THEORIES".

If you are lucky all in capitals is a good marker for a crazy KOOK.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Not heard that one before. Would you care to elaborate?

Reply to
Martin Brown

It will be the deadly nightshade family issue.

However, I have to question why the namers of these things emphasise "deadly nightshade" rather then the relatively neutral "Solanaceae" or subfamily "Solanoideae"?

Reply to
polygonum

That also includes potatoes. I haven't heard this kooky "theory" tho.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I suggest you go and eat unprocessed cassava, then.

Reply to
Huge

Mine said 90/10, but I expect both are within the bounds of error.

Reply to
Huge

I've heard the same 10percent-ish thing too.

I went to the surgery for something else and had a while-you-are-here-we-might-as-well-give-you-a bloodtest which proved a little high in the cholesterol stakes.

As it happened, it came after a week of unusual over-indulgence in high-cholesterol stuff so I asked if I could do it again after a more normal spell. Well, I didn't go normal, I went non-cholesterol. I spent an incredibly boring fortnight eating and drinking nothing higher in cholesterol than lettuce, determined to drag the numbers down.

I had another test.

It was higher.

Nick

Reply to