Statins (OT)

There's a surprise:-)

My doctor was very unreceptive when I suggested exploring the reasons my liver is churning out the stuff. One site I found was expounding the idea that copper deficiency could be a cause.

However, as Peter warns, better leave health decisions to the professionals.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I too have seen the copper suggestion - no idea if it has good evidence.

In my book, everyone with high cholesterol should have their thyroid levels tested. It is a prime cause of high cholesterol levels. And something like 3% of us do have thyroid issues. (Some argue much higher numbers - that 3% is based on "currently treated with thyroid hormone".)

Reply to
polygonum

I think he means the plants carrying out the warfare, by making themselves poisonous (or at least indigestible) to animals that want to eat them.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

in Africa, and group AB appeared in

ICBW but doesn't AB just mean you are heterozygous for A and B?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Small problem with that is some of the absolutely lethal Amanita species actually taste fantastic but are utterly deadly even in small doses. This results in more fatalities than if they tasted unpleasant.

They also have the very nasty habit of allowing you to more or less recover before causing total organ failure of liver and kidneys.

I have eaten some of the safe Amanita fungi with some trepidation and they do taste really good. I still prefer morels. YMMV

Reply to
Martin Brown

I don't think so. Have a look at this:

"The ABO system

Blood groups are defined by the ABO system.

Blood group A has A antigens on its red blood cells and anti-B antibodies in its plasma. Blood group B has B antigens and anti-A antibodies in its plasma. Blood group O has no antigens but both anti-A and anti-B antibodies. This means that group O red cells can safely be given to anyone. It is the most common blood group in the UK. Group AB has both A and B antigens but no antibodies, otherwise it would destroy itself.

Receiving blood from the wrong ABO group could be life-threatening because antibodies in a person with group A blood will attack group B antigens and vice-versa."

Reply to
Terry Fields

Apart from wild fruit I don't eat anything I can't buy from a supermarket :)

Reply to
stuart noble

I believe I'm a B+. What do the 'negatives' and 'positives' mean?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

"Red blood cells sometimes have another antigen, a protein known as the RhD antigen. If this is present, your blood group is RhD positive. If it is absent, you are RhD negative. This means that you can be one of eight blood groups:

A RhD positive (A+) A RhD negative (A-) B RhD positive (B+) B RhD negative (B-) O RhD positive (O+) O RhD negative (O-) AB RhD positive (AB+) AB RhD negative (AB-)

Around 85% of the UK population is RhD positive."

"In immunology, an antigen is a substance that evokes the production of one or more antibodies. Each antibody binds to a specific antigen by way of an interaction similar to the fit between a lock and a key. The substance may be from the external environment or formed within the body. The immune system will try to destroy or neutralize any antigen that is recognized as a foreign and potentially harmful invader. The term originally came from antibody generator[1][2] and was a molecule that binds specifically to an antibody, but the term now also refers to any molecule or molecular fragment that can be bound by a major histocompatibility complex (MHC) and presented to a T-cell receptor.[3] "Self" antigens are usually tolerated by the immune system, whereas "non- self" antigens can be identified".

Terry Fields

in its plasma.

means that group O red cells can

destroy itself.

antibodies in a person with group

OK, now I've checked.

Distant memory didn't deceive me.

You have 2 copies (alleles) of most genes; in the case of the ABO blood groups you can have an A allele on one chromosome and a B on its matching pair, and you will be blood group AB.

So the only thing you need to get the first AB is for one parent to be A and the other B.

I'll be amazed if that only happened in the last 900 years, considering how widespread the 2 alleles are.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

OK, I apologise for quiting from what seems to be a cranky food web site, but the article containing the origins of group AB has 25 scientific-paper references. It is certainly worth reading.

Regarding AB, it says in part

" Blood group AB is found in less than five percent of the population. It is certainly the most recent blood group. Unlike the other ABO blood groups, group AB resulted from the intermingling of group A Caucasian people and group B Mongolian people. Some of this may have been peaceful, some must have been part of the violent turmoil that marked the great "Migration of Peoples" at the end of the Ancient Period (300AD-800AD)

Little evidence for the occurrence of group AB extends beyond 900 to 1,000 years ago, when a large western migration of Eastern peoples took place. Blood group AB is rarely found in European graves prior to 900 A.D. Studies of prehistoric grave exhumations in Hungary indicate a distinct lack of this blood group into the Langobard age (fifth to seventh century A.D.). This would seem to indicate that, up until that point in time, European populations of blood groups A and B did not come into common contact. If they did, they neither mingled nor intermarried."

The complete article, which is worth reading, is here:

Terry Fields

Yes. Lycopene appears to be the 'active ingredient'.

Excess salt is excreted.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I cannot argue with your knowledge. However, I don't believe the body only ever developed that one method to reduce salt content. Odd that my sister, all 7 stone of her, was advised to take water retention pills for her cholesterol condition.

Reply to
RayL12

The first forms of life on the planet were considered vegetation. What did it eat?

Reply to
RayL12

in Africa, and group AB appeared in

Hmm, recent reports suggest life as humankind began in Africa? I won't argue with that considering winters of the Great Years. What did make me laugh when they showed what they thought was the actually cave.

Reply to
RayL12

So it has to be processed?

Reply to
RayL12

What did the considering?

Reply to
polygonum

Once again I will ask, ..it has to be processed??

Reply to
RayL12

No. It can be eaten unprocessed.

There again, you _can_ crunch on cyanide capsules. Or swallow carbimazole by the gram.

Reply to
polygonum