Startrite Mercury Bench Drill

The Chuck on my Drill has become stuck and I would like to remove it for maintenance.

Between the chuck and the body of the drill are two collars with holes drilled in 5mm I presume for a Key.

The bottom one appears to serve as a lock ring and undoes easily , the top one is very very stiff .

Does any body know the correct procedure for removing the chuck ?

The drill is about 30 Years old.

Chris

Reply to
christopher

I would have thought a decent drill like this would have a morse taper in the quill. Lower the quill and you should see a slot, rotate the chuck until the MT tang lines up and insert an ejector wedge. Give this a sharp tap and catch the chuck as it releases. No need to belt hell out of it, just square on sharp taps.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wong !

By turning the bottom ring toward the chuck it presses off the chuck from the taper. It's NOT a morse taper it was a special angle made to mate with the Jacobs chuck inside taper minus a quarter of a degree.

I know because I actually *Made* them at Startrite when they were in Gillingham in Waterside Lane. I was their only centre lathe turner and I produced these by the thousand on a copy lathe.

17 mins to do the job, made a template from an original spindle, set up, production from straight bar with a centre in each end was 6 mins. 2 cuts, 1 rough, 1 finishing. Sent to grinding for the taper finish andthen to milling for the splines. Made shed loads of bonus on that little number ;-)

I can't argue with an info source with that provenance! I stand corrected. Apologies to OP

( I did preface my reply with 'I would have thought...')

I must remember that as a used decent pillar drill is on my ebay shopping list and I'd want a 2MT machine to suit existing tooling. I'd not of even consider checking if a Startrite drill had a morse taper.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob.....The 12 speed 3 phase has a No2 morse IIRC....Rarer than Rockin Orse shyte at teh mop...Ebay had some last week

replying to Bob Minchin, John wrote: I have today just removed my"Solid made in GDR" keyless1/2" chuck from my Startright Mercury MK2 by using the knurled rings as posted.Came off a treat.

Reply to
John

Only 7 years late - your website has managed 11 years at least - must try harder...

(yet another "replying to someone-from-the-past , dimwit wrote" from some stupid website)

Reply to
Geo

Most posts on Usenet actually follow that pattern.

Excepting when posters have set their clocks wrong, making it possible to reply to someone from the future

That's as may be. But how many former employees of Startright actually post on here ?

By turning the bottom ring toward the chuck it presses off the chuck from the taper. It's NOT

a morse taper it was a special angle made to mate with the Jacobs chuck inside taper minus

a quarter of a degree.

I know because I actually *Made* them at Startrite when they were in Gillingham in Waterside

Lane. I was their only centre lathe turner and I produced these by the thousand on a copy lathe.

17 mins to do the job, made a template from an original spindle, set up, production from straight

bar with acentre in each end was 6 mins. 2 cuts, 1 rough, 1 finishing. Sent to grinding for the

taper finish andthen to milling for the splines. Made shed loads of bonus on that little number ;-)

Assuming that's not all bullshit of course; but then not being an expert unlike yourself

maybe I'm not qualified to judge.

michael adams

Bookmark Print

Reply to
michael adams

Have we ever seen anybody from one of these parasitic websites respond to comments on one of their resurrected posts?

It appears to me as if they simply bestow their pears of wisdom and move on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon