Stainless Splashback...Perfect cleaner found!

Chip oil splattered up the back of the range on the splashback.

"Someone" didn't bother to clean it off and it semi-solidified....

Brake cleaner, Mr Muscle, and other kitchen cleaner stuff just didn't shift it but....

Colgate did !

Absolutely sparkling shine and so clean you could eat your dinner off of it. Drop of water on a simple nylon brush and toothpaste cleared the lot.

And it smells better too ;-)

Reply to
Nthkentman

Only council house tenants fry chips.

Reply to
ARW

He didn't say it got there from frying chips! Might have been trying to "make" diesel.

Actually, a few weeks ago, I cooked some chips at home. For the first time in, IIRC, about forty years. Mmmmm... I love olive oil chips.

Reply to
polygonum

On Monday 29 July 2013 21:14 Nthkentman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So the conclusion is that solvents failed and an abrasive worked.

Also you did not try ammonia; that might have worked.

Powdered AJAX (aka scouring powder) might be worth keeping around. Or, one thing I find good: stainless swarf type scouring pads. I use that and fairy to take baked off crap off the oven glass.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 29 July 2013 21:34 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Deep fat fry? Or one of the "almost no oil" methods?

Reply to
Tim Watts

In a pan that is halfway between a wok shape and an ordinary saucepan. With what was really an inadequate amount of oil. And only a modest portion. One of the big issues with deep frying is that keeping used oil (or any other fat) around is not something I'd do. So reduce amount to minimise the amount to be thrown out.

Reply to
polygonum

Only council house tenants fry chips.

Hmmmmm...

Have a lot of chips when young then ?

Strangely the chips were cooked in the wok, but the home grown spuds were a little damp so splattered a bit.

Watch out when you're in your local chippy Adam, you might bump into Elvis working there as an apprentice

Reply to
Nthkentman

Chips should be fried in dripping (Cow fat) Olive oil is for pervy Eyties.

Reply to
harryagain

And has quite a low smoke point, no ? Not really suitable for frying I thought ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How do others cook them, then?

I'm searching for a yuppie synonym for "deep fry" but not finding much.

Do home owners "french fry" their sliced potatoes?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Works fine in a thermostatically controlled deep 'fat' fryer.

Chips fried in olive oil taste much better than those cooked in other oils IMHO.

Costs £4-£6 to fill one up but it is worth it!

However I am now on a low carb eating plan so the fryer is in the loft.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Sauted ??

Baz

Reply to
Baz

I mostly agree with you.

You must have a very small fryer or be buying rough olive oil.

The best steak and chips restaurant in our part of Italy does cracking chips. I asked if they used olive oil and the owner said no, peanut oil. I bet it's bad for arteries but the chips are great.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Although we've not owned any form of fryer/chip pan since 1979ish. On the rare occasions when I want chips I go to the chip shop.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm not a council house tenant and I cook them in the oven. With only a small amount of oil, so they end up a bit like a cross between chips and roast potatoes (NTTAWWT).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Need to think about the way the cleaning process works and judge which will have the least affect on the stanless steel. Some of the cleaners mentioned work by abrading the dried on material. Some work by softening the material Some methods use and abrading pad which will cut the material away.

I would prefer to soften the material using a water and detergent based product.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I do not like potatoes, so no.

Reply to
ARW

It's almost the de-facto oil used in chinese cooking - relatively high smoke point, so good in hot woks.

However according to this:

there are some olive oils with a higher smoke point... Pomace olive oil is formed from ground olive seeds - not that common as (IIRC) it's regarded as rather inferior...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Dry cooked wedges can be very, very nice.

Reply to
polygonum

Harry, for once I agree with you. Far higher temperatures, better cooked chips, less fat in the finished product.

and Wops

Reply to
The Other Mike