Stain-resistant varnish for coffee table?

Anyone recommend a stain-resistant varnish for a coffee table? I have some polyurethane floor farnish. Would that be suitable?
The table is made of pine (or is it box wood - you know the stuff that floorboards are made of these days). I will stain it dark oak before varnishing...
Thanks.
Frank