Splashback or not ?

OK, new kitchen is all in place and the tiles are bought, but I'm wondering if a tiled splash back would be a bad idea (grease getting into the grout etc).

Is it better to have a s-steel splash back mounted on an mdf board on the wall so you can tile around it, or is it better to mount the splashback onto the tiles ?

Reply to
Séan Connolly

I've got a 900mm st/st splashback* behind my 900mm hob and it looks stunning until you fry something then it looks 'orrible so I'm either cleaning it with baby oil to get rid of the marks & streaks OR I'm thinking 'I really must clean the hob & splashback, it looks filthy' high maintenence is the phrase I'm looking for. however, it looks stunning when it's lit by the extractor light.

depending on your kitchen colour, a fancy patterned tile splashback will give you a few days 'grace'from cleaning it. maybe even a week. or two. ;-)

*890 x 780 (ish) 6mm PLY skinned with .9mm stainless steel, bonded with impact adhesive, fixed to the wall with 'sticks like s*1t' type stuff, c£35 all in.
Reply to
.

That sounds like a good idea, how about epoxy based grout for easier cleaning?

Reply to
fred

Mottled granite is very good in this respect too. If granite matches anything else in the general scheme of things....

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

How many pro kitchens do you see with tiled splashbacks though ? Not many I'd have thought.

My previous house just had tiles and they never got particually dirty, so I suppose it is an option just to tile

Well the rest of the kitchen is to be tiled as the plaster is a bit rough. So its really a case of either putting the steel over the tiles (which is what the manufacturer sugested to me) or using one mounted on a mdf board.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Its a vanilla kitchen with butcher's block worktop so probably not !

Reply to
Séan Connolly

We have exactly the same and agree it really does look the part. However, I do not share your sufferings with regards to keeping it clean - it simply gets a wipe down as per the rest of the worktop every time we cook (if required) and a year down the line it looks superb.

In response to the original question, I would not consider mounting the splashback on top of the tiles - I can't see any advantage in doing so (and indeed would not look as good IMHO).

Incidentally, I bought the splashback from eBay - plenty available and whilst I assume some are better than others this one was of very high quality yet cheap.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

This is what I was quoted by a manufacturer:

1) To make this type of splashback the corners of a sheet must be notched and the edges folded, adding additional costs. Unlike most D I Y stores, we recommend that the corners be welded, this prevents water getting to the MDF. Not welding is creating an ideal breeding place for bacteria. 2) If the splashback is fitted before tiling the exact position of the cook/hob may not be known. 3) Tiling to the splashback has problems . Grouting is not easy to clean, does not adhere to stainless steel that well and the alternative of a silicon seal is very difficult to keep clean.

I'm not convinced tbh.

chears, I'll have a look.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

4 90 degree folds, no notching.

don't use MDF, use WBP ply. problem solved

rubbish, the non welded corners at the bottom of my diy splashback are encased in grout. the top ones are 5mm away from the extractor.

2) If the splashback is fitted before tiling the

fit the hob, fit the hood, fit the splashback, tile away from the splashback.

the grout between my tiles and splashback is tight and sound.

me neither :-)

Reply to
.

I have no problem with grouted tiles. I'd avoid white grout, though, if possible, and seal it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The muck is still there. I suspect it will become more ingrained in the grout it it's left to fester ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sean. If your thinking for ease of cleaning then yes a splashback is a good idea, Though you need to be careful lwith stainless not to scratch it. I wouldnt tile behind the splashback whats the point? You dont normally need any MDF behind it as the splash back is normally shaped to stand proud. , it its not a flat peice of plate.

You may have some difficulty if you have allready fitted your cooker and hood, but you need to inestigate how to do this. You may have to run the splash back behind the cooker or you may get a gap.

Good luck.

Kev

Reply to
kevin foote