Space station

I was fortunate to have a clear night overhead when the Soviet /Russian Mir ,which I think by then was unmanned and close to the end of its life passed over as well as the ISS and a shuttle which had just left the ISS all within a few minutes of each other though I cannot remember the exact order or date now. This was in Southern England. The web site I used to use was

which sounds as if it could be religious site but is actually very useful for those who wish to track satellites ,Iridium Flares etc.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I'm sure there are other people typing this as I do, but Iridium flares are what is seen when one of the Iridium constellation of Sat telephone satellites solar panels reflects the sun onto your spot of the Earths surface when its dark. I am sure other solar powered satellites do this, but the orbits of these are apparently most likely to have the effect. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sputniks 2 and 3 in my case. Sputnik 1 was insufficiently inclined to the equator to pass over the UK. Also two comets, Arend Roland and Mrkos were naked eye objects in 1957-8.

IIRC a year or two before the introduction of low pressure sodium lamps forever buggered up viewing from Ewell.

Reply to
newshound

The specific interest is that: because the alignment of the antennae is well known, it is possible to predict exactly where and when the flares will be visible on the ground.

Reply to
Jim Newman

Agreed. Although you have to pick your night to get a decent one. And/or give them a list of predictions for the locale that week.

It is good if there is an ISS pass (or another bright satellite) and a small prize for whoever spots the faintest one. There is a lot of space junk up there lurking in low Earth orbit.

Another good night for doing a star gazing is during the Perseid meteor shower where again there tends to be something to see every few minutes.

A green laser to point out the constellations is handy too.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You have to as you can't see them indoors :)

Reply to
The Other Mike