Or thereabouts.
Hens' teeth would be a good substitute.
Mary
What metal? Regards Capitol
Mary Fisher wrote in message ...

Steel mostly.
Some copper too.
Mary

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:32:49 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Is that really 2.5mm by 2.5mm? same diameter shank as length?
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/rivets.html
Newcastle 01912 324 179
have machine rivets 4mm diam by 8mm long, they're a helpful lot too, min order charge of GBP15+VAT+carriage
AJH

Ah, of course! I know them as leather workers.
But I couldn't get to their website.
Our local equivalent supplier doesn't have the right kind of rivets though :-(
I'll try Le Prevo again, thanks.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Model Engineers ?
Macc models in Macclesfield will probably have some.
Steve

"Steve" < snipped-for-privacy@thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote in message
news:3fc51f39$0$12696$ snipped-for-privacy@lovejoy.zen.co.uk...
Monday.
Steve

Enjoy.
Mary
and I'll arrange to send you some. BTW you'll need to beg, steal, borrow or even make a rivet 'set' to fix them properly.
Brad. (don't forget to 'REMOVETHEOBVIOUS')
Try an agricultural spares supplier. The knife sections on combine harvesters are rivetted onto the knife 'back' and may be about the size you're looking for. They'll also supply the rivetting tool that will make the rivet have a nice round finish.
Rob Graham

That's worth a try, thank you.

We don't need a nice finish. These rivets are to fasten metal parts to make C17th and earlier lanthorns. One every mnow and again is no problem but we've had a big order from a museum and we've cleared the local supplier's shelves.
Mary

Well this is a riveting conversation ...!
*ducks* ....
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:40:06 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
17th century ? Should be a "nice" finish, but it's far from what we usually think of as a "rivetted" look. They'd probably be finished with a "rose" or 5 strike head - hit the middle, then at a shallow angle on opposite sides, then same again at 90 between the first sides.
I make period rivets like this from annealed cut tacks. I use a nail header (a solid iron dome on a side handle, with a closely-fitting hole in the middle). Drop one in, tap it around, turn it over and add it to the pile.

No, the original examples we've seen aren't like that - I'm not saying that none were but the customer is happy with the pictures of the ones we've already made.

Yes, it's one way. Spouse has been making his own for some time, but ready-made ones, fwhen you need a large number, will save time.
Mary