some grouting questions

With the next lot of grouting coming up, I have a few questions that I have not really seen dealt with before - it's just assumed you have the knowledge :-

When mixing powder grout, what consistency should it be ? - I think I made it too running last time, and it formed small bubbles etc.

How much grout would you expect to be left on the tile surface after using the grout float ? I didn't leave the grout long enough before trying to sponge it last time, because a film of grout on the surface was starting to set rather too much. Sponging too early caused some unevenness in the finished grout lines - not that hard flat look.

How hard should the grout be before you wipe it / sponge it ?

The grout shaping with a stick is not what the professionals I have seen do. When just using the float, should you just push the float hard against the grout lines to slightly recess them ? Should you use the rounder corner of the grout float ?

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Use a good quality grout (there's no point in skimping, so little of it is needed it is only a few quid). The packet will tell you the recommended mix - squidgy, but not sloppy. I can't think of an analogy.

Depends how neat you are. Some film is always left, and a few bits here and there.

Harder than you might think - it depends on the grout how fast it hardens, but it should be left for 30 mins or so, don't worry if it looks set, you want it to be so it doesn't wash out of the joints, and it is still very green really, compared to 24hrs later. I find one of those nylon scouring pads they sell for epoxy grout makes the job of cleaning the film off without much effort even when it looks like its dried.

I just go hard diagonally over/along the grout lines as the last pass, leaving them flush or even slightly raised (which they tend to do by themselves). They flush off and recess slightly when you scrub the surface film off.

Dunno, I don't.

Reply to
Bolted

like cement mortar

NT

Reply to
NT

I find grouting the most difficult part of tiling. Unless the tiles are perfectly flat, the grout line isn't of uniform width (which annoys me in a Richard Briers, Ever Decreasing Circles kind of a way). With standard grout the dried stuff powders off the face of the tiles quite easily with a coarse cloth, so I tend to leave the grout lines wet for a smoother finish, and not bother too much about the mess.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes, works well, but I once had only a green one... The householder got a white one later and that corrected the green tinge with very little work.

Reply to
PeterC