Cheapy Generator Help

I've been asked by my holiday host in France to have a look at one of the generic 850watt 2 stroke generators that appears to have two faults

1 The engine does not run and 2 when it last did the voltage regulation seemed all to pot and was blowing light bulbs.

Bearing in mind I am living under their roof for two weeks I don't want to start off by saying "why did you buy that pile of cr4p anyway?" and also I need to try and retain my personal reputation of being able to mend nearly anything.

I can possibly get the engine running again but I wondered about the regulation. yes it could be a throttle/governor problem but I wondered if anyone have any info on the electrical regulation method. Is it a traditional 'adjust the current in the field coil' as in a car alternator or have they come up with a cheaper and nastier way of doing this?

Any help /guidance on typical faults that would help me spend less of my holiday in the guts of the genny would be most welcome.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

1 When did it run last? 2 How new is the fuel mix? 3 Who made the engine? 4 Is there a fixed point for the throttle to regulate the output?

1.I believe it has run recently
  1. dont know but I use some fresh when I get there
  2. Generic chinese genny seems to be for same with different badges on in various parts of the world. I think it is direct drive onto the genny.
  3. don't know till I get there

Thanks for the reply I just need to bone up on the possible fault before getting there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

2T's tend to choke up their exhaust systems rather easily - maybe another thing to check for.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well... I'd probably first attempt to start it by replacing or cleaning and re-gapping the spark plug. Then I'd (probably) blow some butane into the cylinder replace the plug and see if it started this time. I suspect the problem with speed regulation will either (a) mysteriously go away or (b) be cured by cleaning the carburettor. Or (c) it's fooked.

Since they cost about £40 is there any point in pissing about?

Reply to
Steve Firth

It must be a few years since you bought one. You might get a used one on EBay for that. If you know someone who is selling a new two-stroke 600/700w generator for £40 please let us know as I would like one myself at that price.

Reply to
DIY

Makro often do them for about that price. Dunno whether they've got any at the moment - I haven't go an up-to-date Makro Mail.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That would be a 180 mile round trip for me!

Reply to
DIY

Yes, that's why I'm not up-to-date with their offers - they closed down my nearest branch at Coventry.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Add more lighbulbs. Regulation on these things is minimal, governor control is worse. Ballasting a larger load (150W linear halogens are less fragile than GLS) can help. Don't switch nearly everything off together either (you'll over-voltage the last bulb), do it either one- by-one or absolutely everything at once and ignore the voltage spike.

Also check that the governor is working. It's a lightweight spring, easily broken and often not noticed until you start worrying about voltage.

One the grottiest of these (the vertical shaft recycled lawnmowers) there simply isn't a governor, merely a throttle. They're beyond hope.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Useful tips!

Bob