Solar/wind?

Since you mentioned this last week and as I heat dhw with the gas ch boiler, I have measured my gas consumption, average 8.3kWh(t)/day. Which as you suggested is considerably more than the 2.5kWh(t) I calculated was a good bath full. Assuming up to 3kWh(t) of that is likely to be tank losses I've cut the heating period to 16:00 till

19:00.

With gas prices increased by 30% today it's beginning to look worthwhile to install a system able to supply in the 10kWh(t) region as long as it's cheap.

What I'm lacking is data to figure out whether there's any advantage in trying to buffer store hot water, I need to see someone's actual temperature and flow volumes for a summer period.

If it's not worth investing in a store then the simple system

with an integral water tank feeding a combi that is suitable for use with a warm water input looks feasible. On the surface there's not much detail about the differences between the products with integral tanks but it looks like a mains feed to this with an output directly to the domestic heating circuit (seasonally isolated from the dhw cylinder) would be a cheap means of doing this. Can anyone see drawbacks in doing this, feeding into a classic vented dhw system with f&e tank by isolating the outlet of the existing cylinder, then Teeing in the supply from the panel tank and installing a combi inline? Looks to me that capital cost could be below GBP1k with a bit of DIY, I already have a flat roof over the bathroom.

What ~20kW(t) combis can take a warm inlet? Can a thermostatic blender valve reduce temperatures to 50C, before or after the combi?

Detail is a bit lacking about dealing with freezing and overheating and their forum search doesn't yield much advice for this approach.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Somebody said

I said

I have the same model and was quoting the manufacturers figures and am glad to hear they are confirmed by your tests, I have a very large leisure battery and a 60 watt solar panel and am indeed hoping that the combination will suffice for almost continual running of the unit.

Reply to
Cerumen

Yes.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

They do if you make them yourself and I thought this was a DIY group.

They make no sense at all if you have to pay somebody to manufacture and somebody else to install them - perhaps at 200usd/barrel they might, but not even then, I think.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

I have an unused borehole I'd be willing to sell - it's about 150' deep.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Do you deliver?

Reply to
dennis

Yes, but only the hole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm sure he would gladly accept half of the hole, but it must be delivered in one unbroken length.

Reply to
Bruce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Collect only, I'm afraid. Have you ever tried to send a hole by carrier? Not easy, I can assure you.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Only if its the bottom half.

Reply to
dennis

I dont even think they make sense DIY.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Free materials, free time and resulting in free hot water? How can that not make sense?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

you have to eat to replavce the energy you use in manufacture/installation..

Food is energy as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Here's a straw - fancy a clutch?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon