Soil stack re-route

Hi

I have a major internal re-org og the upstairs on the horizon, which involves moving the bathroom and en-suite.

Rather than have to go for macerators, i need to know if the regs permit re-routing of a soil stack along the following lines:-

  1. Exisitng drain connection and stack up to up to first floor retained.
  2. Stack re-routed horizontally along wall immeditatley below kitchen ceiling, box in
  3. Horizontal section would have the necessary fall to ensure flow
  4. Verical section resumed after ~5m horizontal run, up to loft with an AAV

noddy diagram to give you the idea:-

^ ^ < countinues to loft with a AAV fitted ^ ^ < connection of WC * 2 around here, bath pipes into the horizontal section ^ ^============first floor========= ^

Reply to
GD

That sounds almost exactly like a project I did myself not long ago. All worked fine, and passed Building Regs inspections with no problems. Just make damned sure you have plenty of rodding eyes in the soil pipe, at every junction; I ended up with a panel in the front of the boxing above the kitchen units which conceals the soil pipe; the boxing is double-layer plasterboard and the removable bit has a stepped edge, and is actually skimmed over completely, with the corners indicated by mirror screw dome-heads, and a slight groove demarking the edge. This is all to minimise sound effects in the kitchen each time the loo gets flushed!

Good luck David

Reply to
Lobster

It's probably ok. The only question mark is over the use of an AAV. You must be within a certain distance of a *real* vent to be able to use one.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

thanks for the replies.

one thing i forgot to mention was the the horizontal run will need to include a 90degree bend. over than conforming to the regs. re minimum radius (200mm i think), do you see any other concerns ? this will make for quite a novel horizontal section, ie., ~5m then 90-deg bend then ~0.5m before connecting into the original stack.

thanks, GD

Reply to
GD

Yup, that's just what mine did... the access panel which I mentioned is directly in front of the 90-deg bend, which has a rodding eye.

Presumably you'll run the proposal past Building Control before presenting it to them as a 'fait accompli'? Can't see why they'd kick off, but you never know...

By the way, don't know how familiar you are with the venting requirements which Roger raised, but IIRC a minimum of every 4th or 5th house needs to have an open soil stack, so you need to eyeball your neighbour's setups.

hth David

Reply to
Lobster

Wow - you should use clear pipe and make a feature of it!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Mm, in the kitchen, too... nice!

David

Reply to
Lobster

On 9 Feb 2006 10:41:39 -0800 someone who may be "GD" wrote this:-

I would not underestimate the necessary fall, especially to ensure the contents have enough speed to go round the bend at the end of the "horizontal" section. The boxing might be rather extensive if it is to look right.

Reply to
David Hansen

hmmmm

i think i'll inevstigatee Plan B, namely, rip up the kitchen floor and run horizontal for ~5m then straight up the wall to the loft. Only the one bend, no boxing in and so long as i can get a good fall under the floor to the drain should be straightforward. just the little matter of taking up the kitchen floor ! it's finished with large tiles, just hope its not a concrete base !

sorry Steve - i'll not be having that glass effect snake-like soil stack meandaring gracefully across my kitchen ceiling !!!

cheers GD

Reply to
GD