snake oil hits energy saving

Of course it does !!!!!

Staffbull

It certainly does I agree, that is why I have fitted power factor correction devices to factories for years. They have never been used in the home before as there was never previously any need.

Do us all a favour - make sure you know what you're talking about before posting as you will soon realise how silly you look. A big clue for you if you can get someone to help you use a web browser - search for "power factor correction". Learn what it is, how it works and how it can be used in the home.

Reply to
djc

I see they have been taking writing lessons in clarity and "difference in emphasis" from Greenpeace and FOE :-

"It is a common appliance you can plug into any outlet of your home. It is absolutely legal and approved & certified. Since 1998 the United Nations Foundation itself has committed nearly $50 million towards promoting renewable energy and energy efficiency."

"If I plug in more than 1 Intelliworks Energy Saver will I save more? No. One device is sufficient per phase. Any additional units plugged in, will not increase savings."

Not a word of a lie there :-).

Reply to
Peter Parry

I didn't look at the site but it seems to me that snake oil has been around for a long time in this area :-(

But there are still some very sound companies providing sensible and worthwhile solutions.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I understand their use on industrial premises, but why on domestic? PFC doesnt save energy or cost to the homeowner afaik. UK users are charges on power used, not VA.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hehe!! calm down matey !! has youre wife left you tonight or sommat, let me pass youre dummy back to you, there - there :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

The message from "djc" contains these words:

Might help if the advertiser knew a bit about the subject, too. For some reason the concept of the kWh seems beyond many people.

Reply to
Guy King

It does actually save energy. However, not bills. Up to the point in the network where the phase is corrected, drawing at a power factor off '1' will cause more energy to be wasted.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well there is a hint of an element of truth somewhere, in that

  • if a meters measures reactive load (which they don't for domestic customers except for maybe one person here) and the amount charged for reactive loading was very high

AND

  • if typical loading were very reactive (which isn't for domestic)

AND

  • a small cheap plugin box was able to correct it (which it isn't)

then such a box might just save money. But the stuff on the ebay page is complete and utter bollocks.

On the subject of PFC I do believe that PSUs sold in Europe must have it unlike their US counterparts. Which ought to save energy at the expense of a few components.

I rather like the way Google have been attacking nasty (though compatible and interchangeable) PC power supplies.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

I see you don't need to specify 50 or 60 Hertz, or whether your house is capacitive or inductive.

And it can't be active, as it consumes no power itself. Sufficiently advanced technology...

Reply to
Joe

Well he does only claim to save power, not kWhr ;-)

AJH

Reply to
AJH

What power are we talking about, real (in phase) power or reactive power. Reactive power doesn't figure in domestic kWhr and can be ignored.

The number of kWhrs used is simply: power (in kW) x time (in hours).

So if you save power you save kWhr!

Reply to
Fred

You do save some power - assuming the device works - in that you reduce the amount of power needed to be generated. Just because you're not charged for this doesn't mean that there is no CO2/... reduction.

Of course, this is fairly small.

Reply to
Ian Stirling