Skype

Hi all, I am a new user to Skype and have downloaded the latest version:

4.0.0.206 I can send an instant message, but it never arrives to the contact. I click on the Skype contacts name, then type a message in the text box and click on the Blue send button to its right. I have checked at the site to see if I am doing it correct and do appear to, but as I said they never arrive. Am sending to their computer not a phone! Can anyone please guide me? Or tell me a group that this subject should be in please. Mick.
Reply to
Mick Cant

And this is precisely what mathematical function of f*ck all to do with uk.d-i-y? ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Well, I suppose he did say "Or tell me a group that this subject should be in please."

How about uk.go-forth-and-multiply ??

Reply to
Bruce

Thank you for your help. Mick.

Reply to
Mick Cant

uk.telecom.voip - though I have not seen many posts about Skype.

Reply to
Michael Chare

That's because there is a clause in its Charter strictly forbidding them. (Well if there's not, there're should be one)

Reply to
Graham.

The way skype works, both you and the recipient need to be on Skype at the same time for the message to be delivered. You cannot even assume that it will be delivered when they next log on, unless you are logged on as well.

HTH,

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Hi, Yes that explains things, I found Skype very good now on phoning family far away, the voice quality much better than when I last tried it a couple of years ago, I just wont bother with the so called "instant" messaging and just use the voice side of it. Many thanks, Mick.

Reply to
Mick Cant

You will find that is true for most VoIP as its the network that has improved a lot not the software. Skype is technically illegal to use in most countries as the authorities have what is known as legal intercept requirements. Unless Skype have provided the backdoor to allow them to decrypt the calls that is.

Reply to
dennis

Just download the old version again, I installed the new one and found it crap

David

I installed Skyp on my mobile phone and it promptly wanted to dial some strange number via GSM when I wanted to make a call. - Daft!

Fring on the other hand allows me to use my mobile to make a call via WiFi and Sipgate without the Nat router problems of a straight Sipgate connection .

Reply to
Michael Chare

faultlessly up to now. Could it be to do with the need for 380kbit/s upload? Don't like the GUI so much either. Anyway the site has got the option to download the old version, V3. All's well now.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

In article , David writes

Will that overwrite the newest version?

We're using XP and don't think much of the recent update.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Yep. It asks you if you want to overwrite with the old version.

Reply to
Peter Scott