Room thermostats

What would you think would be a reasonable life of a room stat? I changed a faulty one some time ago because the old one was demanding central heating all the time. The one we have fitted might have failed the other way and is not demanding enough heat.

I can't remember what the old one was, other than it was oblong and brown in colour. It might have been a Honeywell model. The latest one is made by Drayton and looks to be a RTS1 model and I fitted it about 20 years ago.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Tsk, don't make 'em like they used to these days. Gone right downhill since Victoria (gawd bless her) were on the throne.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Many older mechanical stats had a thin metal diaphragm type unit that responded to temp (could rupture). Some had an accelerator heater that could burn out. Electronic ones have less hysteresis and give you the benefit of being programmable as well as less feeling a chill before it kicks in / or getting too warm before it clicks off.

Reply to
John

Lasting until the invention of the affordable programmable room stat. Upgrade, you won't regret it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Most of the ones I see in this part of the world are big round mechanical things with a big glob of mercury sloshing around inside...

Reply to
Jules

It looks like It will be an up grade then. The one we have now is electronic and it might be feeling its age.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

John swayed me, now you have convinced me.

Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

On that subject, have you seen these:

's a networked (well, RS485 serial line) version too.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

However, it looks as thought yours is electronic so I can't see how age could have caused the problems you describe. Could it be something else?

Reply to
John

20 years old and still a current model!!!!!! Doesn't seem right. Not calling for enough heat? What do you mean if you set if for (say) 20 degrees - does it switch off at 18degrees? - or isn't the system powerful enough to reach the set temperature? Are the radiators hot enough?
Reply to
John

There is lots to look at there. I am going to print some of the data tomorrow and read up on them.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Assuming that you are replying to me John...

I have been monitoring the room I am in now, since the boiler shut down for the night at 2100 hrs and the temp has not quite dropped 1 degree. What makes these observations so difficult is the fact that my wife keeps getting hot flushes and I am still recovering from being ill and run down for over 18 moths. I'll keep looking at the problem, if only to find out if it is a problem with the house, or the pair of us getting old and decrepit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No, I didn't mean that it is still on the market. What I meant was that it is our current thermostat, as opposed to our old bi metal one.

No, but it would not demand any boiler activity. I can only determine that after I see what a digital thermometer makes of the situation. I will compare the rad heating, thermostat setting and room temperature after a few days, to determine if I have a system fault, or a human one. I have also got to think about when I am driving and how high I turn up the car heater to be comfortable. From what you are saying, I am now beginning to think I am the problem.

Rads are hot enough when the thermostat demands hot water pumping through them. The boiler isn't even anywhere near a sweat, it is turned down so low. I turned the house stat up earlier on and the boiler is going through normal cycling, but I regard the setting as being on the high side. So I am now thinking that I am the fault and I need to toughen up a bit.

Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave