Skimming a Bay

Just about to embark on next major plastering project. Went on plastering course, started in small bedroom, moved on to main bedroom and now going all out for the living room!

My question is bay windows (not the square type). Assuming what's there holds firmly in place when I strip the wood chip I will just be skimming.

1) Can you get angle beads especially for the inside externals in a bay or do you just bend normal skim beads to the required angle ?

2) How would the original external/internal angles have been setup in the first place just out of interest ?

Thanks,

Andy.

Reply to
andy.hide

What are we talking about here, round bays or square? You don't need beads for round bays. As for internal corners, just put an external bead back to front and splay it out if needed to suit.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Further to this if you want a perfect roundness if the old plaster has to come off is...

Get plaster board the height of the bay window i.e underneath the window ledge to floor and score 1" interval apart sections down the plaster then snap each section but not actually seperating the sections then slap some plaster on the back of the board uniformally all over and mould the board around the bay window. This technique is also used for creating arches.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com writes

Take it we are talking a 'splay bay' here - with angled sides..

AFAICR when my plasterer did ours they just fixed bits of the normal metal thincoat beads - presumably bending the them out a bit.

Reply to
chris French

Why would you want to use beads for this purpose? Just skim and make the angle with your float.

What, the angles, or the finish?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes, the bay must be a 'splay bay'. The two sides of the bay are angled.

If I am just going to be skimming the I will bend a normal angle bead to the required angle and skim as normal.

If all the plaster falls off then I'll need to re-create the two external corners where the bay joins the main house wall and the two internals where each side of the bay meets the front wall of the bay.

How would I do this or would a pro plasterer be able to do it by eye ?

chris French wrote:

Reply to
andy.hide

Just do it by eye - it really isn't hard!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

absolutley! I've never heard of using angle beads on internal corners for skimming. Plaster board beading is too stiff to splay out as someone "advised", trying it would make a terrible mess of it.

Reply to
marble

I've no idea why having beads on internal corners would help anything - you'd still have to tool off the angle, and the bead wouldn't help in any way.

Reply to
Chris Bacon